Buying HT stuff

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Tenniswood, Aug 10, 2002.

1. Rob Tenniswood

Rob Tenniswood Stunt Coordinator

I have money. This money, I'm told, can be exchanged for goods and services. So far, all I've purchased is a pair of Axiom M40ti floorstanding speakers. I still have to get an amp, centers, etc.
    I've got about $350-ish US for an amp. I've been looking at the Yamaha HTR-5540 Any good? Alternative suggestions?
    As for the center speaker, sub and rears, I really like the Bose stuff.
    Kidding.
    That stuff I'll worry about when I've got more money...

2. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

You should look at the Pioneer VSX-D811S. It goes for $400 at Best Buy, but can be found as low as $297 with shipping through yahoo shopping. It has DPLII, Neo6, DD-EX, DTS-ES, and svideo/component video switching.

This would allow you to make the move to 6.1 and 7.1 when you want, has analog inputs for DVD-A and SACD, and analog outputs for all channels incase you want to add external amplifiers.

Hope this helps

3. Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer

Also, for the TV, stay away from SHARP. Samsung, Sony, and Toshiba all make solid flat tvs, but the Wega series is really overpriced. You could almost get a Samsung DynaFlat HDTV for the price of some of the analog Wega's.

4. Rob Tenniswood

Thanks Steve. I think that I'm going to go with the Samsung TV.
    I also found a pretty good deal on the Pioneer VSX-D811S Digital A/V Receiver, so I'm thinking about getting that over the Yamaha I mentionned earlier. Would that be a good idea?
    -Rob

5. Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer

If you haven't already, don't order from that site! They are charging extremely too much for shipping (almost $45 dollars).
    I'd suggest ordering from here:
    http://shop.store.yahoo.com/simplero.../vsxd811s.html
    It's $278 (a few dollars more) but they're only charging like $18 shipping. It comes out below $300 even after shipping.
    Hope you got this in time.

6. Rob Tenniswood

Wow...that was a big difference! You caught me in time, though! Thanks a ton, man!

Rob.