What's new

Buying HT stuff (1 Viewer)

Rob Tenniswood

Stunt Coordinator
I have money. This money, I'm told, can be exchanged for goods and services. So far, all I've purchased is a pair of Axiom M40ti floorstanding speakers. I still have to get an amp, centers, etc.
I've got about $350-ish US for an amp. I've been looking at the Yamaha HTR-5540 Any good? Alternative suggestions?
As for the center speaker, sub and rears, I really like the Bose stuff.
Kidding.
That stuff I'll worry about when I've got more money...

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
You should look at the Pioneer VSX-D811S. It goes for $400 at Best Buy, but can be found as low as $297 with shipping through yahoo shopping. It has DPLII, Neo6, DD-EX, DTS-ES, and svideo/component video switching.

This would allow you to make the move to 6.1 and 7.1 when you want, has analog inputs for DVD-A and SACD, and analog outputs for all channels incase you want to add external amplifiers.

Hope this helps

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Also, for the TV, stay away from SHARP. Samsung, Sony, and Toshiba all make solid flat tvs, but the Wega series is really overpriced. You could almost get a Samsung DynaFlat HDTV for the price of some of the analog Wega's.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks