What's new

Buying advise for a Playstation 3 (1 Viewer)

JoeCool6972

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Turner
I am a casual gamer, I mainly use it for the Blue ray player and DVD's. My teenage daughter is a hardcore gamer. No complaints from her. It plays flawlessly with both games and blue ray. And a plus, no red ring of death!

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Size of HDD isn't much of an issue, since you can upgrade it yourself if you wish (all fully authorized by Sony and won't void warranty), and in any case the PS3 doesn't load games onto HDD and still requires disc in console to play, so HDD usage for gaming is pretty much just for save games, DLC and maybe some small installs only. Of course, if you want to use the PS3 as a media server, that's a whole other kettle of fish, but even then you can plug in external HDDs via USB for playback.

And yes, firmware upgrades for the PS3 can be done via wifi, or ethernet cable. Personally I've always done mine via wifi. But I don't think you can connect something else to the PS3 to obtain internet connectivity, as you are proposing for your standalone BDP.

I'd look out for deals involving the Move, which is a nice piece of kit. I bought it recently myself, and it's great fun.

brillo1

Auditioning
Real Name
sam
http://www.supaswap.info/ I found this site where you can not only buy stuff you can also sell and SWAP (ganes, books, almost anything)

You should it out

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for your added insights Yee Ming! I'll keep the Move option on the table as I look for deals.

I imagine I can't connect my Mac to the PS3 via wi-fi to transfer files!

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
If you set up your Mac (or any computer, Windows or Linux) as a media server, you can transfer photos, music, and video over the network. In most cases, though, the transfer rate is much slower than connecting an external hard drive and transferring over USB.

Originally Posted by Nelson Au

/forum/thread/305152/buying-advise-for-a-playstation-3#post_3746287

smellissa

Auditioning
Real Name
Mellissa Smith
Go For It Man. Playstation 3 Is A Dream Game For All People. Even I Am Planning To Buy It

For Searching whatever you like click here

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Mellissa. When a good deal comes along, I will! Though I doubt any great deals will come along.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I'm watching both the PS3 and 360 BF deals like a hawk:

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?sduid=0&t=2334757

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?sduid=0&t=2321975

Sam

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Sam Posten

I'm watching both the PS3 and 360 BF deals like a hawk:

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?sduid=0&t=2334757

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?sduid=0&t=2321975

Sam

Keep in mind that Target is giving a $50 Target GC with a purchase of a $199 XBOX360 on BF, plus you get another $10 GC with a purchase of $100, so buy buying a 360 bundle at Target you will be getting $60 in Target GCs on BF. They did this last year too. I will be taking advantage of it again this year. I'm not sure if a Kinect bundle will be eligable, but I will sure try.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman

No sign of any deals on just the Move controller.

Don't forget that it requires a PS Eye to work, so unless you already have one, you should be looking out for deals on the Move Starter Pack, which bundles a Move controller, the Eye, and a starter disc (which admittedly just contains demos you can DL for free from PSN anyway). On launch there were starter bundles (at least out here in Asia) which included a game as well, which were pretty nice deals. Don't know if those are still available these days, though.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Yeah, I recently picked up Eye of Judgment for $20 at Toys R Us, so I have an Eye. (I heard they were shutting down the EoJ servers, but as long as I can play against the computer or hot-seat that's OK). There have been several deals on the bundles that I don't need (Costco sells the bundle for $90 too). I figure I'll get the controller and nunchuk at some point.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Found the Halo bundle for 320+tax but free shipped, so bit on that.  Need a Kinect deal now. http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?sduid=809152&t=2418715

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Sam - You may have been better off getting a Kinect 250 bundle then buying Halo later. The Kinect is $150 alone or $400 with the 250GB bundle. So Halo Bundle + Kinect is about $470 but the Kinect 250GB bundle + Halo is less. GameStop is also doing a buy 2 get 1 used sale right now (maybe games and accessories, not sure) so you could get an even better deal. The Halo bundle does have a second controller, but I think that's it over just having the game included.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
You misunderstand my priorities, Morgan. =) I got the halo bundle because:

A. I need a second 360 for home and insist on having one with a hard disk bundled in rather than monkeying with 16gb flash drives (which are problem for Halo!)

B. I wanted the slick paint job and custom sounds of the Halo console special edition (plus second controller don't forget)

C. I have Halo Legendary already and will be selling the copy in the box for $20-$25 dropping the price down a few bucks further

D. I already have Forza and am hoping to score an Alan Wake code for like $5 on Ebay. So that made the Holiday bundle a 2nd choice over the Halo one.

I was willing to pay a MINOR premium to get the Halo Bundle. I could have saved a few extra dollars but not enough to really overwhelm B and C above.

So yeah, I hear that Kinect solo will be a lightning deal at 12:15 eastern today, will be ready for that!

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I was tempted by Amazon selling Move Sports Champions for $20, but didn't bite. If it looked like there would be a deal of some sort on the controller later in the day, I would've grabbed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks