What's new

Buying a new washer/dryer (1 Viewer)

SteveMc

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone have advice on where to start? This is my first time i have had to deal with buying real appliances. I started looking around at Best But to get an idea of prices. We are looking at a budget of 350-400 a piece ($800 for both). I am leaning toward Maytag or even Whirlpool, but am defineately open to suggestions otherwise.
I am getting the impression at the budget i am at it doesn't really matter these days. I'll probably end up buying again a couple years down the road when I have built my house, so I can't afford more than that right now...I'll get a good energy efficient nulcear-uberpowered one then, but for now, i want to stick with the basics...3-4 speeds,water levels,temps...whatever...
------------------
Crash
"I don't even own a gun, let alone many guns that would necessitate an entire rack."
Help us get the Friday the 13th films-UNCUT. Click Here or here

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
When it comes to major appliances, I tend to stick with the advice of my friends and deal with Sears. Check out the appliance section at http://www.sears.com. It is extensive, and it includes the brands you are looking for. Sort the listings by price, and you'll find many washers and dryers in your range.
Just wait for a sale before you buy...Sears has them every couple of months.
I got my Sears Kenmore washer and dryer back in 1988 and they are still in use. Nothing fancy...large capacity, minimal wash cycles (how many do you really need?) and the only problem I've had was a broken knob after about 10 years that I was able to easily replace. I'm not sure, but I think that Kenmore is actually made by Whirlpool. But since Kenmore is the store brand at Sears, you should get a better price.
I wouldn't worry about buying a stop-gap set now and a better one when you move into a house.
Also, you might check out Consumer Reports and see how they rate washers and dryers.
Good luck!
- Steve

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
I second the Sears idea. Just bought (7 mo. ago) a washer/dryer set and Consumer Reports consistantly rates the Kenmore (Sears brand) as their best units. We have a Sears Outlet store in Richmond that sells "scratch & dent" Sears products with drastically lower prices, and there's usually not a thing wrong with 'em. :)
-Nathan the Newbie

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
Buying from Sears is a good idea. That's where I purchased my washer & dryer from a few years back. Always look for appliances that have the yellow Energy Saver tags on them. They might cost you a little more to start with but they will save you a bundle in the long run. You might also be able to get a rebate from your power company for buying them. I know that PG&E has these rebates. I prefer a front loading washer and a gas dryer.

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
I'll also advise shopping at Sears. A year ago we bought a Maytag washer and dryer from them. We had many, many problems with the units we bought, and problems with the replacements, and even more problems with the replacements of the replacements. But the 4th time was the charm. They worked with us through it all. I only had one problem with one of the managers. It seems that she didn't fully understand the 30 day guarantee policy, but things got worked out in the end. I doubt Best Buy would have even gone through all that with us.
We still ended up with Maytag Atlantis washer and dryer. We love their dryer. I have absolutely no complaints about it. Both the washer and dryer have sleek styling with nice knobs and buttons. The problems we experienced were with the washer. I advise getting a low-end model of the Maytag Atlantis washer. For some reason, the pricier models, with the temperature controller, have faulty circuit boards and gave us big trouble. Downgrading was the solution that worked.
We returned to Sears a month ago to get a new range and microwave/hood. And 2 years ago we bought a refrigerator there. Stick with Sears for major appliances.
------------------
Bill
biggrin.gif

mickey31.gif

[Edited last by Bill Catherall on September 29, 2001 at 09:37 PM]

Eric Scott

Second Unit
quote: Consumer Reports[/quote]We have done very well with CR ratings and their "Best Buys" (as they "originally" call them.)
It will be worthwhile for you to use their website if you cannot get the most recent report. CR also offers many insights on how to meet your needs, as well as advantages and quirks about various models. It is important for you to go by the model number, as each product is tested and rated individually, not by overall brand.
[Edited last by Eric Scott on September 29, 2001 at 10:42 PM]

SteveMc

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, thats for the great replies guys. Guess I'll be going to Sears this weekend
biggrin.gif

------------------
Crash
"I don't even own a gun, let alone many guns that would necessitate an entire rack."
Help us get the Friday the 13th films-UNCUT. Click Here or here

Michael Lee

Supporting Actor
If you can find a front-load washer in that price range, I'd look for that. My business partners run a very successful high-end appliance store and they all recommend front-load. The next best option is a Fisher and Paykel washer. It uses less water and cleans better than most top loaders
------------------
Link Removed
My Home Theater Pics
My Equipment List
My DVD Collection
Link Removed

Gene Severn

Stunt Coordinator
We had a Maytag washer for 20 years...not one problem...not one service call...we bought another!!!

Deane Johnson

Supporting Actor
Perhaps you've already made your purchase, but here's another vote for Sears appliances. Not only do they have the major brands, but their Kenmore stuff is very good.
One of the things I like about Sears is their service when something breaks. If you buy the Kenmore brand, you get a great instruction book with exploded parts drawings. You can go to a Sears service center and purchase replacement parts and install them yourself if it's something not too complicated.
If you're not the repair it yourself type, you at least have a reliable service company to call.
Just my vote.
Deane

Michael*K

Screenwriter
I'll second the report that Maytags last twenty years or more. Both my parents and grandparents had them and I have a pair now. They are real workhorses. That's the only brand I'll buy again the next time I need a washer/dryer.
------------------
--Mike
Amazon Hot 100 DVD's

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks