What's new

Time for a new washing machine--Advice on top/front loaders? (1 Viewer)

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
My washing machine finally crapped out over the weekend. I figured I'd just go and buy a cheap washer and dryer (yeah, the dryer is long in the tooth as well) but a couple of my co-workers are trying to talk me into looking at something higher end. Specifically, they think I should get a front loading washer, which they each swear by. Now I realize the front loaders are more efficient in both electrical and water usage, but are those benefits worth it? What else are the selling points? It appears to me that most front loaders are about double the cost of a top loading machine. Also, since I'm a single guy (i.e. I don't have to do ten loads of laundry a week) I'm wondering if the increased efficiency would provide a suitable cost to benefit ratio. Anyone out there have a front loader and what's you opinion of them? Also, am I better off going to a large appliance retailer or a smaller independent store? Sears has some pretty nice deals going on right now. Any opinions on the Kenmore brand...good/bad?

Spencer M

Grip
Well Kenmore is made by Maytag. But since the Kenmore name is more recognizable they are usually more expensive then Maytag. I have both Maytag Neptune frontload rear control washer and electric dryer. They are more efficient energy wise I actually got a $50 rebate from the city for both units. The washer uses high efficient concentrated detergent which for what I use in my opinion costs about the same as normal. Over all it was worth the extra money. I bought both units from a dent and scratch appliance store so I paid about $300 less then retail. I still can't find the dent on the dryer but the washer has a scratch on the front of the unit. At first I never found myself using all the extra cycles and settings but over time especially with the dryer I almost couldn't live without. The one thing you will for sure get use to is how quiet they are compared to conventional units. Hope this helps.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Me too.

I'd been hanging clothes outside (or inside) for years and when I got the Neptune dryer a few years ago it was to be only for extended rainy periods. Very quickly I realized the advantage of fluffy non-linty clothes and the dryer is so efficient that I never noticed any change in my electric bill.
Last year the old top loader washer died and I had the Neptune washer installed. It's really amazing. Has water sealed in the drum that keeps it balanced, a baby could sleep next to this thing when it's running.

Hunter P

Screenwriter
I like front loaders because you don't have to deal with that damn stem in the middle while loading and unloading your clothes.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Used to do my laundry at a local laundromat and the owner swore by front loaders. He told me they get your clothes cleaner, are more gentle, use less water than top loaders.

Am in an apartment now with top loaders, so I have no choice, but when I do get a condo/house, I'm going with front loaders.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I have a top loading Neptune that doesn't have an agitator. Instead it has two discs in the drum that spin the clothes. Works well.

aaron campbell

Second Unit

No. Whirlpool makes them.

As an appliance parts dealer, I'll never have a Maytag. Google Neptune and see what you find

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
You know, my family has always has Maytag appliances and they would last forever. I was shocked to see a Consumer Reports reliability study that showed that the Maytag front loading washers had a staggering 21% repair rate. The next closest manufacturer (Frigidaire) was 13%. That's more than enough to scare me off.

Marc S Kessler

Stunt Coordinator
We just got the Whirlpool Duet washer and dryer on sale at Lowes. They're very quiet and seem to clean better. The high speed spin removes much more water than our old conventional washer. That decreases the amount of drying time. The clothes come out with fewer wrinkles. We're very pleased so far.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I have a Fisher & Paykel toploading, energy saver. As gentle on clothing as the frontloaders with similar energy consumption. The laundry chamber is on a gymbal so doesn't go out of balance easily and there's fewer moving parts to break down compared to conventional washers. Learn more here:
http://usa.fisherpaykel.com/laundry/washers/washers.cfm

I bought my washer/dryer pair for about $1100 refurbed and got a tax credit to boot.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It will cost you a lot more if you're single. When I was shopping for a W/D in 2004, the Neptune front-loader had a brochure talking about cost savings. I calculated I'd need to do about 6-loads a week to save money.

I bought a mid-range top-loader washer from Sears.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
The old top loading Maytags were great... all steel construction, lasted forever, etc. My parents are still on their original Maytag (28 years and counting). I got one of the last Maytags before they switched to a plastic design and the front loaders. It seems apparent that the new washers are not built to the same quality level...

I agree with DaveF about front loaders. I like to do LARGE infrequent loads of laundry and the top loaders offer the best economy with this method.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
Front loading washers are excellent but 1) they do tend to be quite a bit more expensive than top-loaders and 2) many front loaders strongly suggest you what's known as "high efficiency" detergents such as Tide HE, which is not exactly cheap to buy. :thumbsdown:

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
We had Whirlpool Duet front loading washer and electric dryer in the States and they were by far the best washer and dryers that we ever had.

So much so that we bought the same Duets when we moved to Mexico (except that we have a gas dryer here).

I can’t comment as to which of the name brands are better, as we have only had the Whirlpool front loaders.

Consumer Reports would be a good source for this information.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Aside from the energy savings, there are a couple of other big benefits (already mentioned).

Front loaders are far easier on fabric that washers with agitators, leading to longer life for clothes (especially flimsy ones) and (at least our Duets) have a very large capacity, so it is easy to wash things like linens and even bedspreads.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
We've had a Neptune front loader since just shortly after they came out- we bought in early '99.
It's given me a few problems over the years. The seal got moldy, there was a recall on the control board, etc- Maytag sent someone out to fix it for free.
Just last March, the motor failed suddenly- the rotor delaminated. I ordered a new one from a parts dealer on Ebay, and installed it myself. Runs like new.

Even with the problems, I would definitely go with a front loader again. We've done 8-10 loads of laundry a week since we bought the thing. It has saved a crapload of water, runs nearly silent, and has been very easy on our clothes- my shirts and jeans have lasted years and years.

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
Took the plunge tonight and got a Kenmore front loading washer/dryer set...their mid-range models. Turns out the previous owner of my house jerry-rigged the gas line to the dryer so I have a plumber coming tomorrow to run a new gas line and the washer and dryer will be delivered on Friday. Anxious to try it out. Thanks to everyone for the advice/feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks