What's new

Buyer's Dilemma...New vs. Used (1 Viewer)

Jack_Geo

Stunt Coordinator
After almost pulling the trigger on speakers numerous times over the last year or so, and after reading volumes of literature / online reviews, and listening to lots and lots of different speakers, I think it's finally time to make a purchase and start enjoying the sound...

My question, oversimplified, is this: Is is better to get a new, "midfi" set of speakers or to try and find a used set of "hi-end" speakers? I know there are varying opinions as to what speakers fit in what categories, and I know it's not all about name, but I wonder, in the long run, what I'll be more happy with...all other things being equal.

Here's one example...I can pick up a 5 speaker set of Meadowlark speakers...Kestrels, Petrel, and Vireo's for under $2,000. Alternately, I could get a 5 speaker system from Rocket, Axiom, Dahlquist, B&W, etc. for about the same price. So which is the better route to take? PLEASE, I'm not trying to negatively portray any of the brands mentioned...they're all great speakers and that speaks for itself...I'm just giving an example. Other used speakers I've considered are Tannoy's, Vendersteens, Thiels, etc....

I keep going round and round, and I know I'm overthinking the situation, so I'm hoping some of you can chime in with opinions and / or similar situations...

Thanks

Jack

BrianT

Auditioning
Let your ears do the deciding. There is nothing wrong with used speakers if they sound the way you want them too and are in the condition you want. Used equipment allows you to purchase something that would normally be out of your price range new and very often will get you a better product for the same price as something new. Decide what you want and look for it used. I just purchased a set of PSB Silveri's that were demo's at a shop for a fraction of the cost of new ones. By buying the demo's I was able to get a much better speaker for the money than I could new. Just my opinion...others may have other experiences.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Jack,

I'm a huge Meadowlark fan. I think that would make an excellent system and would excel for music playback as well!

Marc H

Second Unit
Will it mean you have to invest in a whole new front end though?
Which electronics will you use upstream?

Jack_Geo

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think I'll need to invest in new electronics...at least I hope not.

I sort of fell into a Marantz SR-14...traded my dad for some golf clubs...so I'm planning on using that. I hope it does the trick...

Decisions, decisions...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks