What's new

Buy time (what's the best $800 receiver?) (1 Viewer)

Mike Mitrook

Agent
I hope everyone is having a great new year. It turns out my sister and her husband are (with a new Pioneer Pro530HD widescreen TV on the way). After following that bit of advice they are asking me about updating the audio in their HT.

Budget @$1000 for new DVD player and receiver. I thought I'd suggest the Panasonic RP-82 for the DVD side of things. They have been happy with their Denon 2500 (prologic) for many years but are open to other makes. The room is approx. 15x22 (I don't have exact dimensions). Speakers are MB quart .5s, CTR, balcony surrounds (4ohm load) and a Velodyne 1012 sub.

Suggestions? Looking forward to hearing them...
Mike

Anthony.Lin

Stunt Coordinator
Don't think you can find the RP82 anymore. The CP72 should be around though.

For receivers, I've been looking around in the same price point, and basically with any brand the sound quality and features are about the same. Most brand's $800 receiver will not be that much better than another brand's $800 receiver.

Receivers you could consider: Denon 3803, H/K 525.. well.. actually like I said before people say good things about almost any $800 receiver. Look at the receiver comparison chart on this forum for some ideas... usually street price is about 3/4 MSRP for receivers at this price point.

RobCar

Stunt Coordinator
I'm planning to upgrade to the Yamaha rx-v1300 when I can swing it. Retails for $799, but it can be had for less. I really like what I heard when I auditioned it, and it has all the features I want.

But as others have said, it'd be tough to go wrong in this price range if you're choosing from among Denon, Yamaha, H/K, etc.

Jeff Massey

Agent
I got a yamaha rxv -1300 early in the for under $560 shipped. The company I purchased it from was not authorized, but honored the manufator's warrenty through their store for no additional charge. So far it sounds great in both music and moives. It replaced an old sony 8gx800es.

Current setup
Yamaha rxv 1300
Toshiba 50hdx82
older sony DVD
Vandersteen 2ce sig front
Vandersteen vcc center
old pair of Bosten Accoustic HD5 for rear

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks