What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Bush's War -- Frontline (PBS) (1 Viewer)

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial

Ahhh yes, that's what I was thinking of. It's hard to keep them straight - I've seen most of them a few times. "Cheney's Law," actually touches on many of the themes in "Bush's War," especially the extension of Presidential powers. A bit of the footage was used (like the above-mentioned Frontline eps) in this doc. too.

Another point that can't be made enough, is that a lot of the Frontline eps, especially their recent stuff over the last 6 years, is available for free viewing on their website. It's quite refreshing to have open access to these excellent programs free of charge, often with extra stuff on the accompanying mini-site.

Louis C

Supporting Actor
I am confused. Wasn't it the U.N's war, when Saddam ignored the U.N. sanctions issued as a condition of surrender after Gulf War I? If there be truth in advertising, shouldn't they have called it "Bush I's War"? Isn't Frontline supposed to put things in historical context? Just curious, because I have not seen this yet.

MacD

Agent
Real Name
Dan McDuffee

Or, perhaps no "for-profit" news organizations can afford to spend the time and money because they are not unlimitedly funded to do so like Frontline which gets the majority of its funding from .... could it be.... taxpayers. So, like most governemtly funded organizations, just spend away.

And I thought this all started back when Clinton's administration made it a priority..oops...I guess PBS and Frontline didn't spend enough taxpayers' $ and go in-depth enough.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I’m sure that you are not trying to violate HTF’s posting rules and guidelines Dan, so I’m curious as to why you think that this contributes to the discussion.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
You are greatly mistaken if yout think Frontline has unlimited funding, let alone the funding allocated by a "for-profit" news organization like one of the Big Three. PBS at its peak never received the funding of a nationalized broadcaster like the CBC or BBC, and due to budget cutbacks in the last decade or two, the gap in funding has widened. If I had to guess, I'd say that any given broadcast of Frontline is produced for less than one of MSNBC's prison "doc-blocks." To put it into perspective, the president's budget for fiscal year 2008 alloted $350 million in taxpayer dollars to the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, which divides its financing between both PBS and NPR stations. That's the amount spent in Iraq every 19 and a half hours, according to the New York Times's latest figure. CBS's news division alone, which is not in the business of producing documentaries, had a budget of nearly $300 million this year — likely well over the total investment of taxpayer money in PBS, period.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Remember, keep politics out of this discussion. Actually I'm surprised this thread stayed open this long without someone injecting political views.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
A reminder of the narrow limits to the exception contained in HTF Rule 4 (emphasis added):

Several posts above are in violation. Please consider this due warning.

M.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Part One did not provide a lot of historical context in respect to the first Gulf War, however the website has a nice video timeline, starting with the terrorist attacks in the 80s, that people should find informative.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Also, it has to be said that Will Lyman, the narrator for Frontline, has a damn cool voice :)

Dan Mc

Stunt Coordinator
I think you guy's missed the boat on the title. I took the title "Bush's War" not to mean the war in Iraq, but the war behind the scenes that Bush had to deal with. CIA vs DOD, State dept vs VP office, etc. That's what this thing is really about.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Sure. But it doesn't change the fact that Bush remains a secondary/supporting character in this narrative, which was my point.

--
H

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I agree with you Adam. What makes PBS programming special is their unlimited willingness to cover topics in depth that no one else has.

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
PBS consistently broadcasts shows of such high quality that I have no problem contributing to my local affiliate annually. For years Frontline, American Experience and Nova have been a staple of my television viewing and all three appear atop my Tivo's season pass list.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChiChi0010
Recent bookmarks