What's new

Burnt image on screen (1 Viewer)

JustinPaul

Grip
Hi,

Is there any way to get a burnt image out of a t.v. screen? It looks like I left my playstation 2 paused to long it and now there are permanent images on the screen they arent bad looks like dirt or dust, but they are really annoying. Im trying to watch a dvd or tv and all i see is the spots!!

Thanks alot for any help.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Well if it was like a section burned (like from a letterbox) you could fix it- but if it is random stuff around the screen from a videogame, your best solution would be to buy a new TV.

-Vince

Kevin P

Screenwriter
The only true fix for uneven phosphor wear (that's what really happens when you have "screen burn") is to replace the CRT(s), which can get expensive.

If the wear is minimal and the CRTs are fairly new, you should be able to even things out somewhat by putting on a snow picture (an unused channel) for a few hours.

Is this a direct view or RPTV? What is your contrast setting?

KJP

JustinPaul

Grip
It is just a regular 27 inch tv I assume would be a direct view and the contrast settings are on factory presets.

So i could try putting it on a screen with snow or a screen with all one color such as a blue screen thanks for any help

will adjusting contrast settings help?

Kevin P

Screenwriter
Reducing contrast will help prevent future burn in, especially if it is currently cranked to maximum, which many sets are out of the box.

It's unusual to get burn in on a direct view except in extreme cases. Did you have the game paused for a long period of time (say, a couple days)? Are you sure it isn't a dirty screen or just some imperfections in the phosphors that were always there?

Do you have Video Essentials or Avia? Put up some gray or white fields and see if the burn in is visible. Also put up the red, green, and blue to see if the burn in affects certain colors more than others.

If the "burn in" appears as discoloration as opposed to darker areas on the red, green, or blue fields, then you have a damaged, defective, or magnetized shadow mask in your CRT. Degaussing will help a magnetized mask but if it's damaged or warped (due to heat from displaying high contrast images) you'll need a CRT replacement.

How old is the set?

KJP

JustinPaul

Grip
The t.v. is about a year old. I dont think the marks have always been there because i just noticed them about a week ago. I do not have video Essentials or Avia and I'm not really sure what they are to be honest. At most I left the game paused for an hour on the outside. When you say put up different fields of colors do you mean just a blue screen or a red one etc. And if so any ideas where i can come up with inputs of those different colors. I mainly noticed the marks on white like when I was watching the olympics. On white the marks just look like dirt on the screen kinda greyish in color. Im sure its not a dirty sceen I cleaned it really good because thats what i thought the problem was. How can I Degause my t.v. my computer moniter has a button to degause but how can i do it on the tv? Ill try to come up with screens shots of different colors and see if the marks appear and what their effects are on each color. I know these are some stupid questions I have just never delt with anything like this before and im fairly quick learner so thanks for all your help.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
Do the marks correspond to brightly lit areas of the screen when the game was paused? If it was only paused an hour, I doubt that it's burn in, especially on a direct view set.

Avia or Video Essentials are DVDs that contain test patterns and tones used to calibrate home theater systems. You can find numerous references to these discs here on HTF, and you can get them at Best Buy or probably most any place that carries DVDs. Some THX discs have the "THX Optimode" feature which contains some calibration patterns, but I don't know if they include red, green, and blue fields.

Some TVs degauss themselves everytime you turn them on; others may only do it the first time they're turned on after plugging it in. Try unplugging the set for 10 minutes, then plug it in and turn it on. If you hear a loud hum that fades quickly ("BZZZzzz") when you turn the TV on, that's the degausser operating.

A picture of an all-white or all-gray screen should make any possible burn-in (or whatever you're seeing) apparent. If you have any DVDs with the THX Optimode (the Toy Story discs have this I think) there may be a pattern on there. Or your DVD player, with no disc inserted, may put up an all-blue or all-gray screen.

KJP

Allen_Appel

Second Unit
I wanted to ask about the "blue screen" solution proposed here. On my Mitsubishi 46807, when I go to any input not receiving a signal I get a bright blue screen. Would leaving this on reduce any burn-in I currently have? How long would I leave this image (or lack of image, rather) running? Should I change my contrast settings (since reduced)? I have a slight bit of smudgy burn-in from the pause screen for my ReplayTV, though it has greatly reduced from its original appearance, and is/was only ever visible on a pure white background.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Allen,

I don't think they were proposing "blue screen" as a solution, but merely as a way to diagnose the problem AND hopefully help find a solution.

As was proposed, maybe a snow screen would help if your TV is still pretty new.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks