What's new

Burner/PVR with ATSC tuner? (1 Viewer)

Chris_Eff

Stunt Coordinator
I was wondering if any one knows of any models out now or comming soon, that can be used as an ATSC tuner. I don't need the PVR to record HD, SD recording would be fine. Basicly a PVR/burner with an ATSC tuner for HD/DTV reception.

We are getting rid of a DVR with HD from our cable company because it just started to get too expensive with the new baby and I can get more channels OTA than through cable. My wife really will miss the DVR and I will miss the HD.

So I am looking for a unit to due both. Right now I am looking at a seperate tuner eventually and a seperate DVR/burner. The cheapest combo right now is at Walmart. Hughes reciever and the Ilo burner for around $500.

I really think there could be a market for this type of device if a manufacutere would come out with one.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
I don't think there is much market for it. It's just not a natural fit. If the device receives HD, people would expect it to be able to record in HD. Also if you are receiving in HD, to record in SD you have to down-res & re-encode. It's less work to just record the HD data as received.

So I doubt you will see anything of the sort until Blu-ray is available.

Chris_Eff

Stunt Coordinator
You are probably right Stephan. I was just really hoping there might be plans for one. At least recording HD to the HDD and then SD to the burner might be more realistic. Oh well a man can dream.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks