What's new

BURKE'S LAW, HONEY WEST, and ZANE GREY THEATER? (1 Viewer)

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
The site also mentions a release for the Canadian sci-fi series The Starlost which was created by Harlan Ellison and syndicated in the US via 20th Cenury-Fox TV. I wonder if this is part of the Four-Star package, too.

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
I hope we'll get all the Burke's including the freaky Amos Burke, Secret Agent.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
I imported long ago. I hope these are of the same quality so a repurchase is not wanted but remaining unfulfilled. Why split Burke's Law up? It is the trendy thing to do. I am most excited about the Brenda Starr Serial collection.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
VCI Entertainment is now showing a March 4th release date for season 1, volume 1 of "Burke's Law," plus there are a couple of preview clips (with Elizabeth Montgomery) here:

VCI Entertainment: Home

No definitive release dates for either "Honey West" of "Zane Grey Theatre."

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Bob,

Thanks for the VCI update info about Burke's Law. I'm looking forward to this release.

Jeff "Yet ANOTHER great late 50's-early 60's tip from you guys" W.

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank
Maybe I'll pick up the UK Burke's release after all. At least they put out the full season set at once.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

Thanks, Bob! The episodes that currently air on American Life TV are sparkling clean so I would expect these DVDs to be equally so. I've always wanted to get into this series and look forward to picking these up. Hopefully VCI will be able to bring the entire series to DVD using full length 35mm prints.

Steve

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

Steve, the two preview clips were pretty clean looking, at least to my eyes, so hopefully that will be indicative of the release. Outside of a single public domain episode ("Who Killed Jason Shaw?"), I haven't seen this show in decades.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Amos Burke was part Hugh Hefner, part Matt Helm, part Bat Masterson (a dandy dresser), but the great attraction to the series for me was every episode featured 3-4 great Hollywood stars-of-yore as the prime suspects in a murder. This show was like the resting home of well-known feature actors who were no longer a bang at the box office now getting a little small screen time and having a lot fun. If you're a fan of the golden age of Hollywood, you'll be amazed who shows up here. And there was always a lot of beautiful young starlet window dressing if the famous wrinkle set didn't excite you enough.

Charles H

Screenwriter
Any updates on the season(s) 2 for BURKE'S LAW and ZANE GREY THEATER? VCI is meticulous in their restorations, but it would be nice and reassuring to know that/if those seasons actually will be coming.

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Real Name
dan olson
I was knocked out by the Dick Powell's Zane Grey dvds. What a terrific series, and hopefully we'll have more in store...

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I am among those who now believe that Fox is not licensing out the second season of "Burke's Law" to VCI just as they have also decided not to license out "Peyton Place" for further releases to Shout! We have gone way too long without even a hint of a suggestion that VCI will release S2 (and this is all that matters to me; I can live without the misguided S3 Secret Agent shows) so unfortunately that's necessitated my going another route for the remaining episodes (For now at least).

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Originally Posted by Jack P

I am among those who now believe that Fox is not licensing out the second season of "Burke's Law" to VCI just as they have also decided not to license out "Peyton Place" for further releases to Shout!
There's no evidence of this.

Fox is in business to make money,and they continue to licence other series to SHOUT!

It may be more realistic to believe it's a sales vs. licencing fees costs and/or both SHOUT and VCI being overloaded with upcoming titles (SHOUT! with TV,and VCI with features and serials.)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Burke's Law was always listed as a top seller at VCI for months after it came out and when I made an inquiry to them over a year ago about S2 they gave a neutral-positive indicator that it would be coming at some point.

On Peyton Place, we saw the word on Shout's board that Fox was not licensing them any more episodes at this point and the implication was this was a unilateral move on Fox's part.

At any rate this matter with what's happened to Burke's Law I think has gotten a bit underreported compared to the concerns about the final eps. of Voyage, more Peyton Place etc.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I just heard back from VCI customer service. I think this is further proof that Fox is putting up the road block at this point to keep things only in the "talks" phase at this point, more than a year after the last release.

[SIZE= 10pt]Hello,[/SIZE] [SIZE= 10pt]hank you for your email. We are still in talks with the studio about getting Season Two of Burke’s Law. There is no word yet.[/SIZE] [SIZE= 10pt] [/SIZE] [SIZE= 10pt]Thanks[/SIZE] [SIZE= 10pt]Customer Service[/SIZE] [SIZE= 10pt]VCI Entertainment[/SIZE] [SIZE= 10pt] [/SIZE]

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
There is nothing on the Burke's Law DVD packaging that gives any indication whatsoever that this series was licensed from or through Fox. I just have a feeling that not all Four Star shows are completely under Fox's control. The Rifleman for instance.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I can't imagine what "studio" VCI would have to be in talks with other than Fox.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I just got this reply from VCI Customer Service which confirms once and for all that it is Fox that they have been licensing this and other Four Star shows from and that they are "still in talks". Fox is evidently giving VCI the same treatment they're giving Shout over "Peyton Place."

Hello,

Thank you for your email. We are still in talks with Fox Studio. There is no word yet. I am like you, I would love to see more seasons, so keep your fingers crossed.

Thanks

Customer Service

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks