What's new

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
Before making the leap to filmmaking, the late Alan Parker got his start working as a copywriter at a British advertising agency. During his time at one agency, he met producers David Puttnam (who inspired and talked him into writing scripts for films) and Alan Marshall (with whom he established a production company specializing in television advertisements), both of whom would become producers on many of his films. However, it was Puttnam who gave him his first big break in feature films, the musical spoof Bugsy Malone. Paramount had released the movie on VHS but had never given the movie a DVD release here in the US; the company has rectified that glaring omission with a Blu-ray release as part of their Paramount Presents line in time for the movie’s 45th anniversary.

Bugsy Malone (1976)

Released: 15 Sep 1976
Rated: G
Runtime: 93 min

Director: Alan Parker
Genre: Comedy...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Opinion is sharply divided on this one, but I like it, as you obviously do too. I think the songs are terrific.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
There seems marginal difference between this and the second UK Blu ray release. Lovely movie but not really worth buying. Unless of course you don't have the Region B release. I bought this one hoping for some sort of substantial improvement. Doesn't matter -- my eldest daughter loves the movie too so one of these copies will be going to her.
Great review though and people with region-locked Region A players can now enjoy.

Last edited:

Christian D66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian
Even as a geek kid I found this film's conceit so strange I could never gel to it despite liking the music and having a childhood crush on Jodi Foster. I questioned the premise of the splurge guns and the obvious editing used to make it work -- did the targets die or...? I remember when the film opened and closed. I think Pauline Kael's review nails it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks