What's new

'BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER' season 2 dvd challenge (1 Viewer)

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
I like "Doublemeat Palace".

'Surprise' and 'Innocence'...

I have one question for those of you who saw this when they originally aired on the WB in 1997:

When these events happened - for the first time and not after the fact (no reruns, DVD, etc) how did you feel about it?

Personally I found it to be emotionally devastating, but I saw it after the fact.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I didn't watch it when it aired, but I did watch it completely ignorant of any of the plots. I had no idea what was to happen before it did.

I have to admit I was disappointed with Buffy for sleeping with him. She is still a little young to be sleeping with a guy who looks 25 and is actually 240+. I actually lost a lot of respect for her character. It started a pattern with her that she repeated the entire show. This might sound rude, but she was a little easy/slutty/trampy etc. in the show.

As for him, I was pretty taken back by his attitude the next day. But, I soon figured out why. I think it would have been more devastating if it took me longer to figure it out. I did think that SMG did a good acting job when he was giving her the speech the next morning. See there are always consequences for having sex before you are 18!

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Scott, All those realistic, legal - type issues just don't work with a show like this. You keep mentioning that age difference as being something you don't approve of, but this is complete and utter fantasy...You have any idea how many times these people on these shows would have been arrested/convicted/executed for the things they do?

Buffy should have been shot by police SWAT teams for firing a rocket launcher in a shopping mall. Ethan Rayne should have filed numerous charges on Giles for assault, Kendra should have been arrested for illegally entering the US by stowing away on an airplane...should I continue?

This isn't The O.C., Dawson's Creek, or any other non-fantasy /supernatural series. Why keep looking at it with such literal, judgmental eyes?

Matthias Wolf

Auditioning
Real Name
Matthias Wolf
I have to say, I liked Murphy's minimalistic approach in S1. How he accentuates the fight in the Bronze at the end of 1x02 The Harvest is an early highlight.

seanOhara

Supporting Actor
Bad Eggs should get extra points for tying the show into The Wild Bunch. (Though I'd like to know how the Gorch Brothers survived the Mexican massacre -- maybe they were still alive, and a vampire came to them that night.)

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
wow, after about five years, I FINALLY got one of my friends hooked onto Buffy yesterday. I played the "Well, if you like Charmed, why don't you check Buffy out?" card again and this time he listened and was raving about how much he loves it.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
So I hear there's this virtual season 8 going on at a website - which features (get yer vomit bag ready) a Buffy/Giles romance.

Aside from the incestual nature of it, the idea is truly wrong in EVERY sense.

Would anyone here support such a disturbing idea?

See for yourselves - though why you would want to is beyond me:

http://www.virtualunatics.com/

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Still, the idea is so wrong, especially after the season 3 episode "Helpless". What Quentin Travers
observed in that episode of Giles was and is very true, and the whole idea of it is sick.

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor
I agree, the Giles/Buffy romance is just plain icky. But I see no problems with the Buffy/Angel romance. I think he was in his early 20's when he was turned to a vampire. I have known several girls who are in high school and date a guy in their 20's. I don't see anything wrong with it. Buffy and Angel truly loved each other. I would of slept with him too.

I'm in my 30's and at this stage of my life I just don't see the big deal with sex. IMO, people make more out of it then they need to. But that's just me. I guess I would be considered slutty/trampy too. But that's just your opinion. I just have a different outlook on life.

Over the weekend I watched all of Disc 3. I'm not that great with giving episode reviews so I will just say that I liked them all. LOL. I also watched "Surprise" and "Innocence" on Monday.

"Phases" and "Bewitched, Bewildered and Bothered" are the other two episodes left for this week.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I don't think that having sex makes a person a tramp/slut. As long as they have feelings for one another other, and one of them isn't a Vampire. LOL

I actually think that Buffy/Giles is not as icky as Buffy and a Vamp. I know that Angel is (well was) a good guy, but being dead and cold makes me think they are just moving corpses. I think that is why I get creeped out when Buffy sleeps with one.

Surprise:

This episode (and the next one) is what this show is about. Yea, sure, the Judge isn’t as scary as he probably should have been, but that is about the only bad thing.

I love how Dru and Spike changed roles. Spike has some of his best attitude while in the wheel chair.

Oz proves he is pretty cool (again). Takes everything in stride. He is perfect for Willow.

Jenny is more than we thought. I loved this little reveal. Joss said this plot twist wasn’t initially part of her character, but they added it. I think it worked out great. Jenny has the look of a gypsy.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Seeing Angel go from a distant, near-silent, yet gentle and caring person, to suddenly being in the spotlight, loud, mean, and violent...Joss Whedon was absolutely right about what he said in his commentary for "Innocence" - he could have ended up portraying it as an arch supervillian, going over the top...but instead he was a genuine and credible bastard.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Hi, guy's, well, this weekend Wendy and I watched What's My Line? Parts 1 & 2, Ted, Bad Eggs, Surprise and Innocence.

All great episodes, even Bad Eggs which is cheesy as hell but still fun, but it's Ted, Surprise and Innocence that are my three favorites of the second season. Surprise and Innocece being must-see episodes, I remember the first time those eps aired, I didn't know what was happening to Angel but when I realized what had happened...WOW! I knew that Buffy, and Sunnydale, would never be quite the same once Angelus had returned.

With Ted, I didn't feel sadness while watching it, like I said I felt happy seeing John having a good time in that role, he really mastered that rapid "head turn and random saying" move when he started short cicuiting lol.

Season two is almost finished, time flies when your having fun. :)

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Innocence:

Poor old Buffy. That will teach you to have sex with a vampire. LOL I have to admit Sarah M G did a great acting job. It was pretty tough watching her get the brush off.

I have a real problem with how easily Xander gets the “gun”. There is more chance of vampires being real, than him being able to get that box.

The Judge was a wimp.

Even with all the “issues” I have with parts, it is still a great episode. We have now boarded the ride and are on the way to the top of the big hill.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Phases:

I really don’t care for Seth Green, but I really like his Oz character. I really like how Oz takes everything in without it bothering him.

I got a kick out of Willow and Buffy’s conversations in this episode. The dialog was really good overall for this episode.

Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered:

Fun episode. Xander broods a little too much sometimes and this time it backfires. LOL

It is a lot of fun watching the women’s reactions to Xander as the story progressed. It didn’t take long for the women to go from love to obsession to psychotic. Seeing Willow with an ax is really creepy.

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor
I watched Phases and Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered yesterday. I enjoyed both of these episodes very much. Especially BBB. That scene when Buffy walks into the Library with nothing but a short, raincoat on was priceless. SMG does one hell of a job being sexy. Wowza!

It's Monday, time for a new Disc. This week's episodes are:

"Passion"
"Killed By Death
"I Only Have Eyes for You"
"Go Fish"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks