What's new

'BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER' season 2 dvd challenge (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Since i'm so behind my posting, i'll wait until we watch this weeks eps and i'll resume posting about those.

I'll just say that I enjoyed every ep thus far. ;)

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Ted:

Not much to say about this episode.

Man, I miss John Ritter. :frowning:

Favorite quote form the episode: "Seeing my mother Frenching a guy is definitely a ticket to Therapyland!"

Overall, a pretty good episode. Glad to see Giles and Jenny getting closer.

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor
Just FYI. I'm busy this week so I won't be watching any of the episodes until this weekend. John is coming to visit me this weekend so we are gonna watch them together. Just wanted to let you know why you won't be seeing any posts from me this week.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Don't worry Wendy, we'll keep the thread alive!!

Gather round Buffy-ites- RG has got another review!

2.9/2.10 - What’s My Line Parts 1 & 2 4/5
In which we learn that our heroine does not know how to sharpen a knife.
Despite it’s problems, this was a great 2 parter, that capitalized on season 1, while pushing the show farther ahead.

The problems:
Kendra The Vampire Slayer: Great idea, and the girl seemed great for the part, if not for that accent. I tink it very bad no?
The scene in part 2 where Kendra and Buffy talk about slayering. It’s unintentionally hilarious, and a text book example of an "Actor being an actor". Watch Sarah, she’s sharpening a knife by running the sharpener down the blade in such a way that would make it flat. She than puts down the knife and starts to use the sharpener on a wood stake. The next cut we see it corrected to the knife being used to sharpen the stake. It’s a funny gaffe. Clearly Sarah was concentrating on her lines, not her hands. It’s not really her fault either, someone on the production should of pointed it out.

The good stuff:
Dru torturing Angel. I’m coming right out and saying it: Sexiest scene in a TV show ever. I now have a HUGE crush on Dru. Add to that the total kick assy-ness of the show with Dru getting her strength back and, man, just great stuff.

I thought I'd find an image of this, to brighten up the thread. I found this:

What is wrong with Buffy fans??:eek:

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
watching Ted now is such a different experience than it was before Ritter's death. I guess seeing him as a murderous misogynistic robot who fakes his death
loses it's appeal after knowing that the actor is no longer with us. All in all, a great performance from him there though.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
The day after I learned of his passing was the last time I watched the episode.

There's just something...I can't really put it into words, about watching a show/film which features someone you know isn't alive anymore. It's not even close to viewing something from the 50s, 60s or even 70s, because there's a distance there. I feel that something every time I see an early ANGEL episode. Unsettling, perhaps?

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I don't want to comment on 'Ted' until I get to it, but I will say that i've seen the ep since John died and I just found myself thinking about how much fun he obviously had making the episode and how big a fan of 'Buffy' he was.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

I know where you're coming from, but usually I can do fine watching shows where the actor has passed (for instance, with Ritter I still enjoy Three's Company reruns), I think it really depends on the character. Like you mention Glenn Quinn on Angel, those first 10 episodes are really hard to watch now, but at the same time, I always watch Roseanne reruns, and Glenn was part of that from season 3 to the end.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Plus, Ritter appeared in the DVD extras for this season.

I have always been impressed by that. A guest star for one episode and he showed up to talk about it and not in a self-absorbed manner at all... Did Sarah Michelle Gellar EVER do any extras on the season 4-7 DVDs?

If not, well you know where I'm going with this.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member

Three's Company is a bit of a gray area for me - it's from a long time ago, but not too long ago, plus his death was only what, three years ago?

It's got a distance to it bit not much of one.

I'm not sure I'm making much sense about this sort of thing.

With Quinn, I started watching that only after his death, and found that his role on it was more limited and brief than I initially thought it was.

Watching his last film, R.S.V.P. was a bit of a headtrip, but highly enjoyable seeing his last performance.

I guess it's all about if these things affect someone, and how they are affected.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
lol, I agree. I loved how SMG thought she was too big to ever contribute to extras, while "lowly" co-stars like Alyson and David always did. It must sting that AH and DB are both now on successful series while SMG just has a bunch of movies in limbo.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

yes, I think Ritter's death with TC reruns is similar to that of Nell Carter's death (she died the same year Ritter did) and Gimme A Break. GAB was over about 16 years before she died, and while it is a little strange to watch at first (not to mention that Dolph Sweet died during the shows run, and several of the other adult actors involved with the show have since passed on), it was enough time that while it's still a loss that she is no longer here, enough time passed between the shows end and her death that it didn't necessarily feel "tragic".

I think the reason that it's hard to take Glenn's role on Angel was just because... (I won't say more for the sake of spoilers), as opposed to how on Roseanne, he was more or less just Becky's himbo boyfriend/husband. He never was part of that series' emotional core the way he was during his time on Angel. So while it is kinda odd seeing him as Mark especially in some of his early episodes where Roseanne and Dan wish he was dead, it's not really the same thing.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of emotionally -charged TV shows, the following disc - disc 4 of season 2...nothing says emotional turmoil/trauma/tragedy like "Surprise" and "Innocence"...for someone who loves the Angel character as much as I do, seeing these episodes from the perspective of watching him evolve, knowing where he will go...in this case I'm kind of siding with the soon-to-be-enemy here :D Even when he does things I hate and are horribly wrong, he's still my boy.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Bad Eggs:

This was definitely the worst episode of the season (possibly the series). But it was still interesting to watch. We did get some advancements in the Xander, Codelia relationship. We learned more than we wanted. LOL

While watching Buffy’s mom, I started feeling glad about what happens to her in season 5. Well, not really, but she was sure treating Buffy bad.

I never understood the whole notion of giving students eggs to care for. If I were given this task, the egg would go into the fridge as soon as I got home, taken out when I left again in the morning. How is that teaching kids anything about parenting?

At least now we have the best part of the season coming up.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
"Bad Eggs" IMO really wasn't so much a bad episode as it was at the wrong point, it would've been much better if it was in season 1, or the beginning of season 2, not right before one of the most important arcs of the series

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Look at "Bad Eggs" from this point of view - Jay B is right about the positioning of this episode just before a pivotal season arc, but when you see the two people at the heart of that arc, and how 'care free' they are in this episode - no real tragic, tortured drama or innuendos between them...and you see what follows this episode...guess I'm seeing the bigger picture in this case.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Here's my other 2 reviews for this week. I didn't hate "Bad eggs" as much you others seemed to of. I guess I'm just a total Zander whore.

2.11 TED 4/5
In which our heroine discover that 3’s a crowd

John Ritter as the perfect man, a little too perfect. After the fiasco of the previous robot episode that turned into a lame Power Rangers outtake, this episode is a great surprise. Ritter does a great job as the robot, if you go back and watch some of his initial scenes, you can see him actually playing robot despite not being revealed.
This show and the previous 2 parter are particularly strong, and the tone is a lot more serious. I’m starting to get impressed.
Oh yeah, Zander continues to completely steal the show out from everyone.

2.12 Bad Eggs 3/5
In which Zandar proves to be the hard boiled hero we always knew he could be

Buffy takes a trip into the land of Bodysnatchers and Zontar in this monster of the week episode. After the frighteningly good run of the other 3, this one came of a little plain. Still a smashingly good episode though. Those hillbilly Vampires are the first to not talk like pricks with the fangs. Loved the weird Lovecraftian monster in the earth.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks