What's new

Buffy Chosen Collection Availability (1 Viewer)

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I finally received my copy of this set. I must say that this is one of the best DVD Series Packaging I have seen. They managed to fit 40 DVDs (7 Seasons) into the amount of space that a typical DVD series set would fit only 3 seasons. The best part is the packaging, while dense, still makes it possible to easily remove a single DVD from anywhere in the set.

The other nice thing is that the way it was packaged, there is almost no way the discs could come loose and slide around during shipping.

Overall, a very nice method.

For those who haven't seen the package design, here is a link:
Buffy Chosen Pakage Design

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I hate being the first post on the next page. :frowning:

Did anyone else have an opinion about the Buffy Chosen Package Design?

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Thanks Scott-S for the link to the packaging pics...I really did wonder what this looks like inside, and it looks VERY good. I expect my set will arrive on Monday.

I have a worry-wart question that maybe a reader can give me some reassurance on (or not): one thing that kept me from buying the BIG set was the potential for a problem disc(s). My experience with TV-on-DVD is the discs are much more likely to be damaged. Out of a couple thousand discs, the vast majority of bad ones I've had have been for TV stuff. And a 40 disc set is several times larger than the next largest set I've bought. And I tend to watch TV-on-DVD when I have a little time, when I have 2-3 hours I tend to watch a movie. So it will take me ages, likely, to get through this set and thus make sure all discs are fine.

Have people generally found all the discs OK? Since I will surely be past the amazon "return" date by the time I get through all these, is it possible to get a replacement for a single disc if I have to? Just trying to figure out if I need to go on a month-long Buffy marathon or something. Thanks.

Ryan L. Bisasky

Second Unit
i had one disc freeze and then skip durring 2 episodes (the disc with the episode where Buffy is in the hospital and has visions of a Freddy Kruger like character haunting children in season 2
but it worked fine after brief skips. Even though i've only had it for about a month and a half, I'm already on season 3 disc 3.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Thanks Ryan. I'll do a quick check on any discs that people mention they had problems with. I have a not-bad (but not foolproof) way of checking "suspect" discs fairly quickly, but even doing that process for 40 discs would take a long time.

I notice amazon.com has not had these sets for several days, after offering them in dribs and drabs. And of course their "associates" really jacked the prices up in the meantime...still less than the US$350 some were asking during one hiatus a couple of weeks ago. FWIW, amazon.ca has the set for a lower price than these "associates" (and they just dropped the price a few bucks, about US$200 now), and the only diff between it and the U.S. set (from what I've seen/read) is the bilingual packaging, same content/discs so a possible cheaper option for late-comers if most e-tailers are tapped out.:)

Edit: call me a liar...amazon.com just put another 3 sets up in the 5 minutes since I started typing this post...same old tricks I guess...

Ryan L. Bisasky

Second Unit
another problem (well, its morely because these are the same discs as the season sets), season's 1-3 look like shit on a big tv since they are incorrectly flagged. (blurring during fight scenes and the opening credits)

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I have only watched these via Netflix which is not a good way to judge quality. The discs are so scratched up, that when they skip, I assume it is because of the scratches.

These are single sided discs, so there is a better chance that the un-scratched discs will have problems.

I hope :)

Mark Kalzer

Second Unit
Don't worry about the bilingual packaging from Canada. It is only on the cardboard cover on the outside for store display. It slips off and the box itself as well as the literature are fully English only! Same thing for Angel Season 5!

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I got my set a few days ago from amazon.com packaged in the superlative protective way they do for shipping, at least to Canada (i.e. we have to pay for it, so maybe they go an extra step...?).

And I really have to comment on the Chosen Collection packaging itself: effing brilliant, I hope the designer is rewarded with more than just words of praise. The way the Seasons are packaged is "cheap", convenient, protects the discs, and doesn't waste space...what more could you want? :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Dan Shay

Auditioning
When Amazon does have it available, what're they selling the set for, just out of curiosity? Is it the $200 price or what?

Dan Shay

Auditioning
Ah ok. Thanks for the tip. Not that much better than some of the other prices I've seen. (although considerably better than the high end for these things)

Most retailers that have copies are selling 'em for around $200 from what I can tell. Maybe $10-20 less, but standard retailers aren't going over the $200 MSRP it seems.

The e-bay stuff is out of control though. People are selling sets (and BUYING sets) for upwards of $220.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I've been wanting this set from the day I first heard about it.. but I keep waiting for "the perfect deal".
I missed the DDD one that would have been...

Dan Shay

Auditioning
At this point, I'd say waiting for the "perfect" deal would mean either (a) getting a deal from Amazon.com (b) finding a mislabeled Ebay auction and getting lucky, (c) buying it from a local retailer for ~$200, or (d) signing up for Borders or Barnes & Noble member program, getting an e-mail that offers you an X% discount off of any DVD which also applies to online orders, and then buying the set (or getting said coupon and then applying it to a store purchase and lucking out to find the thing in the store).

Borders this week has a coupon for 20% off any DVD purchase in-store. At least they e-mailed me about it. It may be regional though.

Otherwise, I'd say either bite the bullet or buy the season sets when they're re-released in slimmer cases in May, I think.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I don't want to suggest waiting until MAY for the next possible deepdiscountdvd.com sale... but I think it's possible they'll have some more sets in stock then... and I believe they still have the set for 140.00. Which would put it back at 111.99 like it was in NOV. :)

I know some people are worried about the possibility of the set being discontinued, so obviously this is just an idea. Wouldn't want someone to wait and a) the sale doesn't happen ... or b) they don't get more sets in stock.

Dan Shay

Auditioning
I took a look at their site yesterday. They don't actually have the set listed anymore. Although it shows up on price searching websites (IE: Dealtime, pricegrabber, etc.) at the $139.99 price, when you click on the link, it says "No information" or somesuch.

I've heard they're discounting the individual sets to be rereleased in May to around the $30-40 range, so you may be able to buy the season sets cheaper then, and who knows, they may re-release the boxed set with newer packaging or somesuch. But it's a gamble.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks