What's new

Budget TV is flat screen worth the extra $ (1 Viewer)

Robert Mayrand

Stunt Coordinator
I notice that most of the posting wich deosn't deal with above 1500$ TV don't get reply, but i would really appreciate some input. Please don't tell me to save for later, or try to change my budget.

I'm really on a tight budget, but definetely need to change my TV wich only got a coax connection. I can't afford much more then 500$. I've notice a thoshiba flat screen that even goes fo less then that, but wich is only 24". Should I avoid flat screen to try to get a bigger TV. Or maybe stay small and try to get a vertical compression If this is available in small tv. I mainly use tv to watch dvd, but simply cant afford 16:9

So
-bigger plain 4:3 tv?
-smaller flat screen 4:4 tv?
-even smaller tv with vertical compression feature?

Any suggestions?

Ryan LeSage

Auditioning
I just bought a 32" Panasonic flat screen and found that anamorphic wide screen is still way too small. I couldn't imagine watching it on anything smaller.

IMHO, if all you want is a bigger picture, not necessarily better quality, and a few more "newer" connections, avoid the flat screen for now. You can always replace a lower cost TV.

Ryan L

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I bought a 27" Wega almost two years ago...w/anamorphic squeeze, it looks great...but Ryan is right, it is way too small.

I don't have any exra money laying around now...but I'm going to save for the next 6 months, and buy something ~50".

Jason Hammerly

Supporting Actor
I jsut bought a Samsung 36" analog direct view from American TV and I love it. IT does the squeeze and it was only $623 out the door. After calibration the pic is great. I'd look into it if you have one local. They are on sale at least through Saturday. Later

Dan V

Stunt Coordinator
There are a few of good 32" tv's in your price range, two of them being Toshiba and JVC' both have component and s-video, very good pictures, and can be had for around $500.Of the two brands, I prefer the JVC, it has a better picture and can do the anamorphic squeze, altough you have to access it thru the service menu. In a 27", you can still get into a flat screen in your price range, I would recommend either the Samsung($449-$499) or the Akai($379 which is the same as the Samsung but rebadged and sold at Sams Club)They have excellent pictures once you do some adjusting, have a full set of inputs, and do the anamorpic squeeze easily thru the remote. As far as which size and model to consider, if you watch a lot of movies, I would go with a 32", the size impact is defintely worth it, especiaaly since most dvd's are in widescreen.If it is going in a smaller room where your closer to the tv, you can't beat the clarity and detail of a flat screen.

CraigL

Screenwriter
I am in a very similar situation.

I would like a 32" or 36" (preferable) TV under $800 (if i can help it) that is flat screen and does anamorphic squeeze. Is that possible?

Brad_V

Second Unit
I'd say a 36" Samsung for $623 sounds pretty sweet. That's as low as you'll find a decent 36" for. Otherwise it's the nice 32's for under $500.

Flat screen? Eh, why bother. It's hardly even a factor if you're not sitting to the sides anyway.

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
I agree, try to get the biggest reputable brand TV you can get for $500; Toshibas, Samsungs, JVCs are all good brands. I picked up my 32" Toshiba for $300 in the classifieds; works like a gem, and the picture is really great.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks