Budget seperates (stereo)

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Ben LG, Aug 14, 2004.

1. Ben LG

Ben LG Stunt Coordinator

Ive been thinking about getting into seperates recently and was wondering if quality units can be had at my price range - $700 or should I just save the money towards a better system if I really wanted to go down the seperates route.

Some combos I was looking at:

Parasound Zamp and Zpre

Parasound PHP-850
    Parasound HCA-750A

Rotel RB-1050
    Rotel RC-1070

I chose these few because power is not my main concern since my room is not too big (15x10x8), Im sure I dont need anything over 100 watts. Quality sound at a reasonable volume is all I need. Any advice or opinions would be appreciated.

2. James W. Johnson

James W. Johnson Screenwriter

How about just getting a decent integrated amp? $700 should get a pretty nice one.

3. Dan J S

Dan J S Agent

At around the same price range you could get a used integrated amp like Audio Analogue Puccini, Audio Refinement, or Creek - any of those would demolish the options you listed.

4. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

Well naturally, anything used will put you into a higher bracket of what you can do with your money. If you want to maximize your $$$, go used. Hit up audiogon and see what you can get.

5. Ben LG

Ben LG Stunt Coordinator

Damn I cant spell.. *separates* [​IMG]

Anyways thanks for all the info James, I went with the B&K ST-140. So far the ST-140 sounds very nice but just a tad dark/veiled on the highs. Can anyone recommend a preamp for under $500?

FYI system specs are Infinity 2000.5 speakers, Marantz CC4300 changer and the B&K amp.

6. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

I also like to get into separates and I think I have found a way to do it cheaply. I have a small den (about 12' X 15') with rather efficient speakers (Energy C-3 rated @ 92dB). Currently, I have a Cambridge Audio A500 stereo integrated amp powering the Energy's. With the pre-outs on the Cambridge, I can bypass its power amp section and use it as a pre-amp. Right now, over at audiocircle.com, there's a very interesting thread on the TEAC A-L700P 3 channel power amp. It's Tripath digital amp rated at 30 watts/channel. The poster of the thread is replacing a Sugden integrated amp with the TEAC and has been very positive with its performance powering a pair of Totem floorstanding speakers. The best thing about it is that it's only $99.00 from J&R.

I will be getting one of these to power my Energy C-3 soon.