outlaw b stock amps (your opinions)

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Travis, Jul 11, 2004.

1. Travis

Travis Second Unit

I have been trying to find a good amp to add to my 3805 to give it a little more oomph. I am currently running a 7.1 setup and noticed outlaw has their b stock sale going on. I can pick up 3 of their 200 monoblocks for 690 shipped. I am just wondering if anyone has any experience with outlaw b stock items. Would you recommend a seperate route?
    Here are my thoughts.

1)3 monoblocks for the fronts, run sides and rears off rec.
    2)Marantz MM9000 or Rotel RMB1075 for fronts and side surrounds and run rears off receiver

I don't listen to a lot of stereo music, mostly DVDA (even when I listen to a CD I use Neo6 or DPLIIx).

My speakers consist of Axioms: M60's, VP150, QS8's, and QS4's so they are fairly efficient.

My breakdown is 70/30 HT to music. Budget is 900 or less.
    New or used is an option. (Yes I know about audiogon [​IMG] )

All thoughts and opinions are welcome. Thanks for the time. [​IMG]

2. TimRP

TimRP Stunt Coordinator

I would and did skip the outlaws and went with a pro-amp set up. 3 Crown XLS 402s and one 202. My speakers are 6ohm~ and that means I am pushing 300watts plus into them with the crowns, and I did this all for much cheaper then an outlaw setup would have cost me. Pro amps aren't for everyone, but they sure do pack a punch IMHO.

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I'd personally pass on the 200 monoblocks, and go for their 755 or 770. The 200's use class G amplification above 80 W. A true class A/AB design theoretically will give you better performance. Other than the 200's, I believe that the Outlaw amps offer quite a bit of bang for the bug.

4. Mary M S

Mary M S Screenwriter

Travis I purchased a Outlaw 750- 5 channel (now discontinued) as a B-stock item.
    Additionaly aquired a 770-7channel, as new stock.

Therefore I have had opportunity to compare an Outlaws "new" Vs an Outlaw B-stock item, in the same product category.

No difference in what I recieved, (except the price break for the 750 [​IMG] ) the B-stock looked brand new out of box, and both units have preformed flawlessly.

I might add the 770 is a better match to my Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Mains @ 4 Ohms - 91 dB, and Maestro center @ 91 dB, 6 Ohms Impedance, than a B & K reference series and couple of other choices.

Extremely happy with purchases from Outlaw, not familiar with the monoblocks but would highly recommend on my past experinces and satisfaction level trying any product from Outlaw.

5. Travis

Travis Second Unit

Mary M S,

How would you compare the sound of the Outlaws to that of the B&K. Would you classify Outlaw as bright, warm, etc?

6. Mary M S

Mary M S Screenwriter

My simple and non-audiophile reply would be:

Personally I find the least difference between amps as regards the sonic affects on sound than most other parts in the separates chain.

I think differences can be heard but it is generally more a matter of the architecture, class, tube Vs solid state etc. It pays more just to watch things like distortion; impedance and wattage required depending on your speakers’ sensitivity level and the gain you listen at. Adequate capacitance etc.

One thing I’m sold on Vs HtiB or Receivers is unstressed power. I don’t want to come anywhere near to clipping. I’m also sold on keeping my power separate and not in the box with processor to reduce sheilding issues.

My unprofessional opinion was that Marantz and B&K had similar tonal qualities to me. (which my ear did not prefer). A lot of this sound would have influenced by matched branded pre-pro’s in the chain, so I can’t give you any comparison as regards A/B ing with all other components in the system identical other than the amp.

I can’t tell you the model numbers involved without doing some heavy research in past posts from prior years but felt with the different systems being switched out on the back of the Beethoven (also I beleive a flagship Pioneer receiver?) that when I got them home to the 950/770 combo, I heard more depth and detail out of these mains, a sense of utilizing their full frequency range to a more clarified degree.

I feel your amp choice should be more carefully researched if your speakers, are something a little more difficult: i.e. low sensitivity. Ribbon or electrostatic or horned speakers I personally feel need more careful pairing with the amp to get the most out of them.

Generally I feel your end sound will be most effected (in this order of weight)
    1: Room Acoustics
    2: Speakers
    3: Pre or Receiver
    4: Amps (sorry..coming in last for me, with all requirements for the power your system requires being met).

Just my comments on the versions listed above (which does not mean squat).
    Marantz was muddier (dull)
    B&K was too clinical and lacked excitement.
    Outlaw: was (what some would term bright (but I personally only use this term myself when talking about tweeters which are harsh and shrill ruining the high-end to my particular ears).
    To me what some call in the Outlaw ‘bright’ I hear as transparency with very little coloration (which I guess is what your asking..if the Outlaw amp can 'color' your sound.
    The Outlaw setup does not make (my own version of bright) my speaker’s sound harsh or shrill.
    I considered and purchased the Beethoven’s for a certain lush mellowness I like. The Outlaw setup does not get in the way of that.

(I feel like a poser untrained food guru or art critic when I start trying to use these terms)