What's new

budget 6.1 A/V receivers - are these the best options? (1 Viewer)

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
With manufacturers releasing new models now, I figured I'd re-ask a question from a few months ago. What are the options for a budget 6.1 home theater and music receiver in the $500 range? The following are the ones I have currently on this list:

Pioneer D811S

Onkyo 600

Yamaha 5560

Anyone have others to add that one should look at. Any comments on the 3 above would be welcome as well.

I should also mention, I was interested in support for DD-EX, DTS-ES (discrete as well if possible), DPLII and flexible crossover bass mgt.

thanks,

--tom

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Ryan, the Denon seems to be outside that price range. It's listed at $799 at the retail stores around here. I know it can be had for somewhat cheaper on-line but it seems to be one notch above the rest price wise.

John, thanks, I'll add the Marantz to my list. I see it is listed for $500-550 at CSW's web site.

thanks,

--tom

Jin E

Second Unit
Marantz SR5200. If you get a good unit it's head and shoulders over the other three IMHO in personal listening tests. $369 at ac4l for a refurbished model. AC4l has had GREAT customer service. I had a fauly Marantz DV4200 dvd player and they got a RMA number from Marantz and had me a new player in a week. They even had UPS come by and pick up the old unit (didn't have to lift a finger or spend a dime to send it back). They were very proactive when trying to solve me problems, and the Marantz receivers have a wonderful warm tonal quality too. Personally I think the new x802 Denons were missing a little something compared to their older stuff. I can't quite put my finger on it... but I prefered the sound of my old 2801 instead of the 2802, so I went with a Marantz instead for DPLII and 6.1. YMMV.

Oh yeah. Shipping on my 6200 was $23. Since the 5200 is a bit lighter expect about $20-21 for shipping. You could pick up your DPLII and 6.1 for $390.

MatthewJ S

Supporting Actor
RXV730....$579(?) IN ABOUT A 2 WEEKS !

LEARNING REMOTE...LCD?

6.1 (6 AMPS)

ON-SCREEN DISPLAY...

Fred Seger

Stunt Coordinator
I've had the Pioneer 811S for about two weeks now and am very happy with the unit. Cost was $307 shipped.

I'm not real familiar with the other models hear but this what I think about this one. I was upgrading from an Onkyo 676.

Pro's

DD EX, DTS EX Discrete, DPL II, Neo 6, 6 Channel stero

Preouts for all channels

Powers seven 7 speakers

Two rear channels

Can us one of the rear channels to power sub.

5 way binding post(all nine)

Speaker "b"'s

Decent learning remote with preset codes

Cleaner Look

Con's

No On Screen Display

Remote can be limiting( no macros)

Sub crossover is adjustable but only in high range 80,120,200

Just my 2 cents.

KonradN

Stunt Coordinator
Fred,

what color is the lcd display on the 811? On most pictures it looks blue, but then most pioneer components have an orange dispaly.

another question i have is whether the xover point to the main channels is fixed (at what frequency) or adjustable like the sub xover.

Ken Mc

Auditioning
Sorry to get off topic but it has been on my mind for awhile... If a receiver such as the Pioneer 811S decodes all of the sound modes you want and has pre outs so it can be used as a pre-pro why spend substantial money on a HT system. A receiver and separate amp should give you better sound than just a receiver alone right? I am relatively new to all of this and am curious.

KonradN

Stunt Coordinator
why spend substantial money on a HT system.
Ht system, u mean on a dedicated pre/pro? If so then sound quality is the primary reason for a dedicated pre/pro and most pre/pro offer some more advance feature such as adjustable xover, equalization, etc...

Hank_P

Second Unit
KonradN,

The displays on the new Pioneers are blue (411, 511, 711, 811). I think this is to keep it looking a little different because these will do DPII ...but I don't know that as for sure. Maybe another manufacture is making these and Pioneer is putting it's name on it? I've seen them in Best Buy but not had a chance to look at them that closely.

Fred Seger

Stunt Coordinator
KonradN

The display is blue. And as far as I know the crossover to the mains( all the speakers for that matter) is the same as the crossover to the sub, so it is adjustable.

Jason Spencer

Stunt Coordinator
Hmm, now I have to reconsider my selection again. How do you think the Pioneer 811 compares to the Onkyo 600? I have the Onkyo on (back)order for $450. Perhaps I should save $150 and go with the Pioneer. Looks like they have close specs. I want it to sound good for both music and HT. Seems most consider the Onkyo a better unit than Pioneer (more accurate power ratings, more natural sound). Should I give the Pioneer another look?

Hank_P

Second Unit
I think I would lean toward the Onkyo if it's between the two. If DPLII wasn't a criteria..then the Pioneer 850 might be the choice I would lean towards.... but with what you are wanting... go with the Onkyo.

KonradN

Stunt Coordinator
the pioneer 811 sounds really tempting. It has pre outs on all channel, a feature the onkyo 600 lacks, and has adjustable xover, although most will probably just set it at 80hz. If its sound quality is on par with the onkyo then its the best deal you can get right now.

Fred Seger

Stunt Coordinator
I was pleasantly surprised by the sound of the pioneer. I've had pioneer equipment in the past and this sound better than those. It sounds as good as my onkyo 676 but just a bit warmer.( which I like better) All of this is just my opinion of course. For about $300 I was impressed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks