What's new

Budget 200w+ amp, which of these to get? (1 Viewer)

JohMabe

Stunt Coordinator
I am rebuilding my stereo system. I'm to sell my Roksan Kandy amplifier, and I will buy a more powerful amplifier. My options, as in my previous posts, range from the Rotel 990-BX and the Anthem MCA-3 to the more expensive B&K 200.2 and the Aragon 4004 mk2. In the middle range, there is B&K 2220 and Parasound HCA-2200 MK2, Adcom 5802. I'm not looking for the next big thing in amps, I just want a very decent amplifier to power my Dynaudio LR120+ speakers. Something discreet and with enough power for a future speaker upgrade. Nothing with noisy fans or too outdated components is wanted. I want something that will "deliver it".

My question is, will I be able to get what I want from an entry level like Rotel or Anthem, or I'll need a middle-to-top range amplifier like the B&K?

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't lable the Rotels as entry level at all...they might not cost as much as some but they'll easily hold their own. That said why the 990? Its an older model from what I know.

JohMabe

Stunt Coordinator
probably because i cant get a 200+watts per channel rotel for under $1000,00 if it aint this.

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
The Parasound 2200II 250x2, true dual mono 1.2kVA transformers per channel, at ~ 700 used (retail 2k) is a great deal. This amp is just a tad behind the Aragon 80088BB and Bryston 4B-ST when you read and *compile* comments from audioaslyum.com and audiogon.com (the discussion forums).

Yogi

Screenwriter
My personal fav is B&K. Warm tube sound with a sweet midrange without the maintenance of tubes.:emoji_thumbsup:

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I have the Rotel 993, the 3-channel version of the 990. It's a darn good amp, not the best but it's lightyears from entry level. 99x amps are highly recommendable in my book.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
You may want to look here - www.norh.com as well. Have not personally heard their monoblocks but many highly regard them. At $300 each they seem to be a bargain. The earlier less powerful version gets snapped up quickly when a used one goes on sale on Audiogon.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Mike, I've heard neither and I'm not even sure if the new Norh amp is shipping yet. Norh likely has lower costs being in Thailand and probably offers products more geared to audio vs. home theater. I'm sure that both will be great values for the money. I was almost going to order one for the rear center channel that I don't use very often but ended up picking up a used Marantz mono block locally.

JohMabe

Stunt Coordinator
hmm, the Rotel sounds good in the 99x series? I might take a look at these. Parasound is neat too. Maybe the Anthem... I can't decide.

JohMabe

Stunt Coordinator
Will try to, but I live in Brazil, so it's kind of difficult. Anyway, what is the imput on the Parasound HCA-1500a? It's a current amp, but no one talks about it. Does it sound good? Comparing to the 2200?

Erik J. B.

Grip
If you're still checking this thread, Accessories4less.com has all Adcom gear at closeout. They've got a 5500 that lists for $1100 for $650 and their authorized. You may wanna check it out. I just bought a $450 list Adcom ACE-615 line conditioner/surge protector from them for only $300. Can't beat it for authorized, series mode protection, 12V trigger, delay on/off. There's only one of each left.

JohMabe

Stunt Coordinator
Great find! I'll consider that, it'll be about $900,00 to my home in Brazil. Not too expensive, but I have cheaper options which i might check out first. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks