What's new

Increasing power (headroom) to mains (1 Viewer)

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
Hey all,
Just wanted to get some suggestions on amps to increase power to my mains. I'm about 60/40 HT/music.
My current set up:
Rotel 1066 pre/pro
Rotel 985mk2 5ch 100w/ch amp
B&W CDM1NT mains
B&W CDMCNT center
B&W 600 S3 rears
SVS 20-39pc
Panny RV31K dvd player
My original thought is to go for the gusto and move up to Rotel's flagship amp, the 1095. Then I looked at my space constraints and pocket book. Tight squeeze either way. Also, I think for my movie listening habits, 100W for the center and surrounds are fine.
What piqued my interest was Outlaw's new m-blocks which are only 1.75" tall, 200W, two would be about 4" (they probably have feet) and would fit well in the space left in my entertainment center. At $498 plus shipping, plus an auto on feature, it looks good on paper.
Then I looked at Rotel's 1080 (200W stereo amp) at about 5.25" and it would probably fit. Figured about $600 used, $800-900 (street) new. Nice thing about the Rotel is that it will match my other amp as well as my current pre/pro. However, I'm sure I'll be upgrading my pre/pro eventually so that's not a huge factor for the future. I would probably classify it as short term WAF.;)
So overall, my limitations would be the space in my entertainment center (about 5") as well as budget at $500-600. Eventually, I'll be moving up to the power hungry Nautilus line and want to have the extra headroom for now and the future. Would like to move up to about 200W/channel. If I can get more power w/o sacrificing quality and my budget, I'm open to suggestions.
Thanks for the input.
Bob

DanaA

Screenwriter
Outlaw has the new Model 200 coming out and are taking preorders now. It's rated at 200 watts/channel into 8 ohms and its price is set at $299. If you go to their site, it looks amazingly streamlined in size.

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
Right, that's what got me thinking about increasing my power to my mains. Not the typical monoblock format. I'm on the waiting list for two.

Bob

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I may be in the minority and opening this thread up for a threadfart from the nonbelievers but here goes:

I wouldn't suggest another manufacturer for amps because of my personal belief that they don't sound the same. This change in tonal quality will be noticable and I wouldn't advise it.

I would buy a 200wpc rotel since you like their sound already and be done with it.

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
Shane,

I'm not sure if amps are amps (*ducking head*) either, but that's definitely a consideration. I am planning to do a head to head comparision with 2 ch music when the Outlaw m-blocks. I'll home audition a 1080 during my 30 day trial period for the Outlaw units.

Thanks for the input.

Bob

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Then again you may prefer the outlaw sound and could sell your multichannel to replace it with another outlaw to match.

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
Bob,
I have a Rotel 1055 which I'm using as a preamp along with a 985mkII also. Its a sweet combo. I have the 1055 powering the center backs.
Im in the same boat as you and am getting the 1070 amp for Christmas to power my mains.:D I have all Klipsch speakers(KG 5.2's, 4.2's, 2.2v, and KSB 3.1's). I was thinking about the 1080 but I really like the Klipsch sound and with their efficiency I don't need the the extra 70 watts of the 1080.
My local Rotel dealer can let me have the 1070 for $600, the 1080 is $900. Choice of black or silver.
I also happen to have SVS subs too, gotta luv em.
Let us know what you decide
Earle

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
Earle,

Rotel/SVS = best values in HT. Outlaw is pretty good also but I'm not as familiar with their amps. Their 950 is a $900 pre/pro to me, I don't like it's sound. Great features though if you like the sound.

I'll post my impressions once I can get a hold of the Outlaw units.

BTW, my leftover space in my entertainment center is only 4" and now I'm leaning towards the Outlaw unit....but we'll see.

I will post my impressions in a month or two.

Bob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks