What's new

Pre-Order Buck Rogers in the 25th Century - The Complete Collection (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
71lHnsqBnrL._SY445_.jpg

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Kino titles, in my experience, don't usually come down too much, but I'm thinking of single-disc titles. They might be different on multi-disc sets.

If I didn't already have the much cheaper Australian site, I might have bitten, but as it is, the only thing I might consider is the (available separately) BD of the theatrical film. The special features (particularly the commentaries) really aren't compelling enough. If they'd managed to get cast commentaries (rather than the fanboys), I might also have been tempted. I have that book written by one of them, so I imagine his commentaries will probably mirror the content of his book.

Yeoman007

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rick
Kino titles, in my experience, don't usually come down too much, but I'm thinking of single-disc titles. They might be different on multi-disc sets.

If I didn't already have the much cheaper Australian site, I might have bitten, but as it is, the only thing I might consider is the (available separately) BD of the theatrical film. The special features (particularly the commentaries) really aren't compelling enough. If they'd managed to get cast commentaries (rather than the fanboys), I might also have been tempted. I have that book written by one of them, so I imagine his commentaries will probably mirror the content of his book.

Amazon's price is the MSRP; it's $59.97 at Kino's shop for pre-order, and qualifies for free shipping. Kino's single-disc titles are typically $10 off MSRP at their shop. Their boxsets are usually $20 off MSRP.

They're still adding extra features to the set, as reflected in the description on their website. They added new interviews with actors Erin Gray and Thom Christopher (Hawk). They're trying to get Gil Gerard, but it doesn't look hopeful.

EDIT: While at their shop, don't forget to check out their While Supplies Last sale.

Last edited:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Amazon's price is the MSRP; it's $59.97 at Kino's shop for pre-order, and qualifies for free shipping. Kino's single-disc titles are typically $10 off MSRP at their shop. their boxsets are usually $20 off MSRP.

They're still adding extra features to the set, as reflected in the description on their website. They added new interviews with Erin Grey and Thom Christopher (Hawk). They're trying to get Gil Gerard, but it doesn't look hopeful.

EDIT: While at their shop, don't forget to check out their While Supplies Last sale.
looks like I'm buying this on BD for a second time then.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
They're trying to get Gil Gerard, but it doesn't look hopeful.

His one claim to fame, the guy has no trouble hawking bootleg stuff and charging a lot for his autograph, so I guess he won't do commentary for free? Out of the classic TV actors I've met, he's one of the small handful who were a major disappointment.

Yeoman007

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rick
His one claim to fame, the guy has no trouble hawking bootleg stuff and charging a lot for his autograph, so I guess he won't do commentary for free? Out of the classic TV actors I've met, he's one of the small handful who were a major disappointment.

I don’t think KL is trying to get him to do it for free, but they might be unable to agree on a price or conditions. Obviously, Gray and Christopher reached an agreement.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
I don’t think KL is trying to get him to do it for free, but they might be unable to agree on a price or conditions. Obviously, Gray and Christopher reached an agreement.

Also, it should be pointed out that Gray and Christopher have merely been interviewed. According to the specs, they are not providing commentary tracks. If they had, I might have bitten.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Commentary tracks by actors after so much time tend to degenerate into "hey look how good we look!" Sometimes an interview will be more illuminating. The only TV show commentary tracks I've really enjoyed on an information level were by Kenny Johnson for V and The Incredible Hulk. This guy either has volumes of notes that he held on to or a memory like a steel trap. Either way, it's really time well spent.

Others may have entertainment value if the cast is either commenting on specific scenes or are just a lot of fun. Mark Goddard's commentary on the Lost in Space episodes is usually really funny. On the other hand, the actor commentary for the I Dream of Jeannie pilot was pretty useless.

Fanboy commentary may not have nostalgia value but often fans know more than the actors who haven't thought much about the specifics in decades. Gil Gerard may not have a ton of good memories anyway, he seemed to really hate doing the first year, going by Starlog interviews, and felt the tone of the second was more to his liking. Unless he changed his mind since then.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I'm holding off on this one, until the reviews (or griping) about the picture quality are in.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
I'm just waiting to hear is there is any improvement in the new release over the AUS edition which actually is quite good for the series episodes. So far not really heard anything that has made me want to replace my current BD though I may very well get the standalone Movie during a future sale.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Commentary tracks by actors after so much time tend to degenerate into "hey look how good we look!" Sometimes an interview will be more illuminating.

Oh, I'm not necessarily advocating for just turning them loose! I like the Doctor Who format where they have a moderator amongst the actors to help keep them on track, ask questions, etc.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I imported the first season from Italy and it looks very good - I imagine Kino will be using the same masters. I have no use for the second season, so I'll be passing on the series but will pick up the movie-only disc.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Besides the pilot, the only other episode I really remember vividly was the "space rockers" one. Iirc, it was about a futuristic rock band corrupting the youth, with Jerry Orbach playing the badguy behind the scenes. (The music was "Odyssey" by Johnny Harris).

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
My copy of this arrived today. The picture looks nice, certainly an upgrade over DVD, and, if you recall, the initial DVD release had those disastrous double-sided discs. One thing that was not remastered in HD is the movie's trailer.

BTW, I got this from DeepDiscount for nearly $20 less than Amazon.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Last month I Dvred the first episode and I couldn’t get thru it. When it originally aired, it was very good...now...what a piece of crap.

God, how did they get away with this drivel? It wasn’t the filming, it was the writing.

Another TV show that won’t grace my shelves.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
To each their own, I love the series to this day. It's fun, light entertainment. The late 70's into the mid-80's was filled with shallow TV, most of which I apprecate as escapist fare. However, I do agree the pilot movie is pretty weak - Glen Larson's pilots don't do as much for me as his regular episodes, usually when another line producer steps in - like Bruce Lansbury did for Buck and Knight Rider. Larson's sense of humor was a little childish for me. I feel the actual series found a good mix of adventure and froth in the first season. And, unlike most fans, I enjoyed the more serious feel of the second half-season.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
To each their own, I love the series to this day. It's fun, light entertainment. The late 70's into the mid-80's was filled with shallow TV, most of which I apprecate as escapist fare. However, I do agree the pilot movie is pretty weak - Glen Larson's pilots don't do as much for me as his regular episodes, usually when another line producer steps in - like Bruce Lansbury did for Buck and Knight Rider. Larson's sense of humor was a little childish for me. I feel the actual series found a good mix of adventure and froth in the first season. And, unlike most fans, I enjoyed the more serious feel of the second half-season.
Love the series, and there are great episodes in it (SPACE VAMPIRE RULES!). Fun, escapist entertainment with TONS of beautiful women in shiny clothing. I was hooked when I was eight, even more hooked now.
IMG_1960.JPG

IMG_1961.JPG

IMG_1962.JPG

IMG_1964.JPG
IMG_1965.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks