What's new

Pre-Order Buck Rogers in the 25th Century - The Complete Collection (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
The DVD version is the original network version (with the exception of the opening credits). The Blu-ray version is a two part version but I hesitate to call it a syndicated version since each part has a running time of 48+ minutes. The same as all of the other stand alone episodes. The Kino Blu-ray has the correct opening credits for the Flight Of The War Witch episodes. The original DVD version is the one with the extended opening credits with the scene of Buck's Starfighter firing on Hawk's ship. Why Universal used the opening credits sequence from the 2nd season premier on the 1st season finale is beyond me.

Last edited:

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
The DVD version is the original network version (with the exception of the opening credits). The Blu-ray version is a two part version but I hesitate to call it a syndicated version since each part has a running time of 48+ minutes. The same as all of the other stand alone episodes.

I agree, the two-part version is most likely from the original network rerun, which I believe according to memory had it split into 2 parts for that 2nd broadcast airing on NBC.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I agree, the two-part version is most likely from the original network rerun, which I believe according to memory had it split into 2 parts for that 2nd broadcast airing on NBC.

As it was w/O-R Jack Lord Five-O (the 1968 pilot, which was rerun in 1969 on April 6 for the first part, and Nov. 6 for the other part)?

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
The Blu-ray version is a two part version but I hesitate to call it a syndicated version since each part has a running time of 48+ minutes. The same as all of the other stand alone episodes.

There's nothing wrong with calling it a syndicated version. Universal always offered unedited versions of their episodes for syndication. When Battlestar Galactica was rerun on KWGN (I think) in 1990 or '91 (I know it was one of the independent stations in the "Denver 5" package via satellite at the time), I recorded the episodes to VHS. They were unedited. I was surprised!

Also, it would be accurate to call the episodes of Buck on DVD/Blu-ray the "syndicated" versions because in the first-season pre-credits intros, William Conrad's voice-over is slightly edited, at least on later episodes. On the original NBC broadcasts, his voice-over would begin, "Tonight, on Buck Rogers..." but on syndication broadcasts (and home video), they begin "On Buck Rogers...", so the word "Tonight" was removed. On DVD/Blu-ray (and on Sci-Fi Channel reruns in the '90s) "Tonight" was removed from "Ardala Returns".

Of course, this would've been done for syndication, since the show could just as easily have been seen in the daytime (as if anyone would've been confused by hearing that word, but whatever).

The only instance I've ever seen of the intro being uncut was on the Goodtimes Home Video VHS of "Ardala Returns." I don't have any of the other VHS tapes (from Universal/MCA) to see if they had the original narrations.

Last edited:

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
You feel the same about that one as I feel about Diff'rent Strokes.

Funny you should mention that. Gary Coleman appeared here as a guest star, then on Erin Gray's next show, Silver Spoons, which was more than adequate compensation for this show essentially getting knifed in the crib*, Coleman did a crossover in-character as Arnold.

I'm glad for fans of this show they got what they want. It fascinates me how critical and commercial success when TV shows are new seems to have no effect on present-day disc sales and how a show that was a flop when it was new can sell more copies than a show that was a hit (by comparison) when it was new. It also fascinates me how children and adults respond differently to the exact same content. I also wonder why people constantly bring up subjects they dislike.

*Especially when you consider the men she got paired with.

Last edited:

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I got my set for Christmas and I’m thrilled with it for the most part. The movie version of the pilot is cropped for widescreen, but at least the TV version looks great.

The prints look like the Madman release and other than the import having the 2 hour “Flight of the War Witch” as a bonus, the episode content is identical. Even the chapter stops seem to be in the same places.

Great release!

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
I got my set for Christmas and I’m thrilled with it for the most part. The movie version of the pilot is cropped for widescreen, but at least the TV version looks great.

The prints look like the Madman release and other than the import having the 2 hour “Flight of the War Witch” as a bonus, the episode content is identical. Even the chapter stops seem to be in the same places.

Great release!

Yes, I think someone from Kino confirmed that the only new transfer on this release is the pilot movie, since Kino paid for that transfer themselves.

Everything else (like the Madman release) comes from the pre-existing Universal masters.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Ordered this from Kino because it was less than Amazon. BIG mistake. Three weeks after shipping it has not arrived and has not budged on tracking since December 15.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Amazon has always been reliable for me as a Prime member. The $19 more from them would have been worth it in this case. My point is more that I should have stuck with Amazon.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Do the KL re-releases keep the end Universal Television logos? I know the original Universal releases don't, as they instead have the 1997 Universal Pictures logo before the opening credits.

Season 1 (1979-80) had this version...

Season 2 (1981) went for this...

~Ben

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Do the KL re-releases keep the end Universal Television logos? I know the original Universal releases don't, as they instead have the 1997 Universal Pictures logo before the opening credits.

Season 1 (1979-80) had this version...

Season 2 (1981) went for this...

~Ben

That's a great question! I'm sure Kino Lorber's releases should have that-- they're not the actual studio, but rather a distributor, so I would guess those should be there like Paramount's original logos were on VEI's releases of older series from that studio.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Amazon has always been reliable for me as a Prime member. The $19 more from them would have been worth it in this case. My point is more that I should have stuck with Amazon.
The thing is, if Amazon used a shipper who utilized the USPS for any portion of the delivery it, too, would likely have been delayed. I've had several shipments from Amazon that would normally arrive in a couple of days take a week or two, with at least one completely lost - a first for me, due to the "last mile" being handled by the USPS. That "last mile" for me starts with a large USPS distribution center in a city ~50 miles away that's been backed up for weeks. The majority of my Amazon deliveries use that USPS distribution center for final delivery.

tigereyes

Agent
Real Name
Paul B, Scott
Last month I Dvred the first episode and I couldn’t get thru it. When it originally aired, it was very good...now...what a piece of crap.

God, how did they get away with this drivel? It wasn’t the filming, it was the writing.

Another TV show that won’t grace my shelves.
Wonderful series.Loved it back in the day...Love it now.
Erin Gray is a Knockout.
I have the Australian release and apart from the movie,which is standard definition,the rest of the box set is HD and looks superb.
The movie when it was in cinema’s had a Stereo surround track, The Laserdisc also had a Stereo track.
unfortunatley both the Australian release and the new Kino are in mono.
Looks like Universal lost the Stereo tracks.
It really makes a difference.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Forgive the crudeness of these screencaps but top is the Australian region free BD, and below is the KL release:
IMG_0873.JPG

IMG_0884.JPG

IMG_0874.JPG

IMG_0881.JPG
IMG_0875.JPG

IMG_0882.JPG

IMG_0878.JPG

IMG_0883.JPG

IMG_0885.JPG

IMG_0890.JPG

The difference is very slight but I prefer the KL image overall. It is slightly less saturated in color, and looks more natural to my eyes.
By the way in doing these comparisons I noticed the Australian BD had 5 seconds shaved off at some point in the episode 'Happy Birthday Buck" The KL episode runs 48:39, and the Madman BD runs 48:33

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Wonderful series.Loved it back in the day...Love it now.
Erin Gray is a Knockout.
I have the Australian release and apart from the movie,which is standard definition,the rest of the box set is HD and looks superb.
The movie when it was in cinema’s had a Stereo surround track, The Laserdisc also had a Stereo track.
unfortunatley both the Australian release and the new Kino are in mono.
Looks like Universal lost the Stereo tracks.
It really makes a difference.
Just to clarify - the TV show would not have been stereo as according to Wiki NBC wasn't even broadcasting in stereo until 1984
"Sporadic network transmission of stereo audio began on NBC on July 26, 1984, with The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson, although at the time only the network's New York City flagship station, WNBC, had stereo broadcast capability; regular stereo transmission of NBC programs began during early 1985."

It's possible the stereo mix for the theatrical was lost in one of the vault fires. IMDb says the soundtrack was mono. But the Battlestar Galactica movie was released in stereo Sensurround.

tigereyes

Agent
Real Name
Paul B, Scott
Just to clarify - the TV show would not have been stereo as according to Wiki NBC wasn't even broadcasting in stereo until 1984
"Sporadic network transmission of stereo audio began on NBC on July 26, 1984, with The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson, although at the time only the network's New York City flagship station, WNBC, had stereo broadcast capability; regular stereo transmission of NBC programs began during early 1985."

It's possible the stereo mix for the theatrical was lost in one of the vault fires. IMDb says the soundtrack was mono. But the Battlestar Galactica movie was released in stereo Sensurround.
The TV version is a different cut to the film and as you say Australia included, everything was Mono But the cinema of course had many forms of Stereo surround.4 track Magnetic and Dolby Stereo Surround.
Have to say the Stereo version sounds wonderful,especially in the cinema,with Sennsurround added.
where I ran it for 3 months In Sydney.
I have the Stereo mix,if Universal want it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks