What's new

Brother Bear: 2-Disc DVD Release Details (1 Viewer)

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
We received a warning letter from our corporate headquarters about the AR switch, and it did throw a few people off in the opening week. As well, the colour for the opening of the film is more muted and "realistic," since it is supposed to be from the perspective of the Native American people. It looked to me like the AR of the opening sequence was 1.66:1, because the bars on either side of the screen were REALLY wide.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
from this weeks video store mag ad on the first page.
** the origional theatriccal presentation utilized two aspect ratios.
the film opens in 1.85:1, then transitions into 2.35:1.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
This movie really surprised me and I really loved it. In fact, it made my Top 10 for 2003.

Sweet, cute, funny, and suspenseful. (the music was fair though)

RafaelB

Second Unit
Maybe there were none of the real animators left to do a true commentary!
:frowning:
Sad, but true. While I didn't enjoy this movie as others did, I may get it just because it *was* one of the last traditionally animated filmd coming out of the studio in Florida.

Oh, and that aspect ratio change was kinda nice, too. :D

Rafael

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Must buy this for my 3-year-old, who loved it in the theater. I thought it was good, not great. In terms of the Disney films of the last 5-6 years, I'd rank it, story-wise, solidly behind Mulan, Lilo, and Emperor's but ahead of Tarzan, Atlantis and Treasure Planet. In terms of animation, however, I might rank it even lower.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Haven't seen it but i'll be eager to review it when the DVD comes my way.

I'm glad to hear about the discussion about the dual-aspect ratio...now I know what to be concerned about when I review the disc.

Thanks!

dave :)

p.s. Really *is* sad news that this will be the last hand-animated feature film from Disney.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
What would you prefer:

1. That the 1.85:1 portion take up the full 16x9 frame area with the 2.35:1 portion "letterboxed" (constant width for both aspects).

or

2. That the 1.85:1 portion be "centered" in the letterboxed 2.35:1 area of the 16x9 window...appearing to be matted on all 4 sides but maintaining constant height between the two aspect ratios (the way that would reflect how it got "wider" in the theater when it switched to 2.35).

I'd love to hear some votes:

Option A = constant width in 16x9 (2.35:1 version smaller)
Option B = constant height in 16x9 (1.85:1 version smaller)

RafaelB

Second Unit
Having seen the movie in theatres, I'd have to vote for option 2 since watching the aspect ratio expand was pretty powerful. Hopefully, that's what Disney'll do with the DVD. :)

Rafael.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
That the 1.85:1 portion be "centered" in the letterboxed 2.35:1 area of the 16x9 window...appearing to be matted on all 4 sides but maintaining constant height between the two aspect ratios (the way that would reflect how it got "wider" in the theater when it switched to 2.35).
This is the only sensible way to do it. Otherwise, the image will get SMALLER when it's supposed to expand!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I'd vote for option 2 as well. I haven't seen the film but from the descriptions I've heard, doesn't his transformation into the symbolize "opening up his eyes to the world" thus why the 1.85 expands to 2.35? If that is the case, the 1.85 should be windowboxed so that it is smaller than the 2.35 picture.

IMO. :)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
well hopefully it will be option 2 so it will expand to be bigger like in the movie theater.
plus that would make more sense because i guarantee regular folks will be so confused if the picture gets smaller, that some will think it is defective.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Really *is* sad news that this will be the last hand-animated feature film from Disney.
David, to allay your fears somewhat, this is actually the penultimate traditionally animated film from Disney. The last would be Home on the Range, which is due in theaters in April, if I'm not mistaken. Looks to be an awesome fun film.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
Folks,

One of the reasons why Disney has been pushing the 1.66:1 ratio for many animated features is the very fact that when the original artwork was done, it was all done using paper that was the equivalent of 1.66:1 aspect ratio. Indeed, The Lion King Platinum Edition uses this aspect ratio on the DVD release.

I remember from seeing the Supplementary features disc of Atlantis: The Lost Empire Collector's Edition that Executive Producer Don Hahn and Directors Kirk Wise and Gary Trousdale had to "block off" the original animation drawing sheets so it matched the 2.35:1 aspect ratio of the final film.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
2. That the 1.85:1 portion be "centered" in the letterboxed 2.35:1 area of the 16x9 window...appearing to be matted on all 4 sides but maintaining constant height between the two aspect ratios (the way that would reflect how it got "wider" in the theater when it switched to 2.35).
I watched this last night. This option is how it's done--and it's still effective within the story, even on the smaller screen.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Wow, I'm impressed. I never thought they would do it this way. Definitely the only way to go from an OAR standpoint. Great news. Thanks for the info, Randy.

Chris

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
A nice touch is that Buena Vista has put an information screen before the movie to let viewers know that the change in presentation is going to occur--and when it will happen.

I didn't go back to double-check, because I was watching the movie with the family, but I'm pretty sure that the layer change also occurs at the moment the screen goes black during the OAR transition. If so, that's another nice touch (similar to how the layer change was handled in Galaxy Quest, after the screen goes black when Tim Allen is knocked out).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks