What's new

Brother Bear: 2-Disc DVD Release Details (1 Viewer)

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Could anyone post screenshots? This doesn't street till the 30th, but I'm anxious to see this.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the 411 Randy!

Makes you wonder, though, how the same company (Disney) can be so wrong in OAR in some instances(see the "more pan-n-scan from good ol' Disney" thread) and get this one so right - not just in OAR presentation, but also in placing the layer change in a good spot. It's like there's a bunch of disc mastering teams and none of them talk to each other! :confused:

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter

WillG

Senior HTF Member
By those screen grabs the 1.66:1 version is Pan and Scan. Can't say if it is this way through the whole film but if P&S is the way the transfer was done, I wonder why the decided to go 1.66:1 for the "Full Screen" version

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
Will, you're right about P&S. It does appear that it runs throughout the 2.35:1 portion of the movie. Here's a random comparison (exact frame) from a different part of the film.

http://home.comcast.net/~rasalas/bear7.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~rasalas/bear8.jpg

As for, why 1.66:1 instead of 4:3? I would guess that it's to minimize the P&S, since that appears to be what has been done. Also, it's a forward-looking move by Buena Vista, considering the advent of 16:9 TVs and that this title is unlikely to be revisited anytime soon. Note that the 1.66:1 image is windowboxed to fill a 1.78:1 screen.

(You know, looking at that comparison--I swear it's the exact frame--the 1.66:1 version also looks as if it has been slightly anamorphically squeezed to minimize the distance between the characters and get more of them on the screen.)

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
Oh, I don't care, David. They're Buena Vista's property, not mine, so go for it. I'll leave them up for you.

:)

(Still not clear how various sites get away with posting cover art and screen captures from DVDs and then watermarking them with their web addresses as if they own the images.)

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Thanks Randy, for the information! I cannot wait for this. Looks like Disney did right by this one.

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor
It seems this title did really well for Disney. Brother Bear was the top dvd seller in April, selling 51.1 million copies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks