What's new

Brief Review of Infocus X1 (1 Viewer)

Ben Harper

Grip
Here is a brief review of the X1 for those considering a DLP:

1. Picture is awesome at any price under $10K. Although the only thing I could compare it to side by side is my Toshiba MT-2, it is clearly a superior picture. The image is also much sharper than what I have seen from the Yamaha model that Hifi Buys is pushing (at $12,000). The darks are much darker than on the LCD units.

2. Although the unit is rated at 1100 lumens, I doubt it is achieving that high an output. However, the image is plenty bright in my dedicated theater with little ambient light.

3. Setup is simple. However, it will only accept progressive scan DVD or HDTV via a VGA breakout cable, which is not included. This is a little confusing because it does come with an odd S-video to component breakout adapter.

4. Keystone correction is somewhat disappointing. Too much curvature at the edges. This problem might be solved by mounting the projector level.

5. Nice remote, however doesn't illuminate. On-screen menu a breeze to use.

6. Overall unit is fairly quiet, although I have heard quieter models (Marantz, Runco)

7. Absolutely best value going. I paid $1,400 from an authorized dealer with free shipping and no taxes (out of state). Additionally, there is a $100 factory rebate AND an additional 3-year warranty (brings warranty coverage to 5 years).

Hope this helps if you are considering a "budget" DLP.

Ben

NathanH

Stunt Coordinator
Wow! That's a great price! I'm in the market for an X1 and am just waiting for the right price :) Where did you purchase the X1? Sounds like the best deal I've come across.

Thanks!

Ben Harper

Grip
Michael,

Guess I need to read the instructions! Can't help but ignoring them as I'm an engineer.

I'll try to "light-up" the remote tonight!

Thanks!

Ben

MattMB

Agent
Keystone correction is somewhat disappointing. Too much curvature at the edges. This problem might be solved by mounting the projector level.
You want your projector level and your screen level vertical. Then you don't need to use the Digital keystone correction, which degrades the PQ noticeably.

I love my X1, one of my best home theater purchases yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks