What's new

Brideshead Revisited finally released to DVD! (1 Viewer)

Thane

Stunt Coordinator
I know that quite a few people have been waiting for Brideshead Revisited to be released to DVD. Image Entertainment has announced the date as 6/25, with a retail price of $79.95. Acorn is the studio producing this...anyone familiar with their work? Can't wait!!!!

Kenneth_C

Second Unit
Great news! :D I've been wanting this forever.
According to Image Ent: Special features will include Production Notes; Location Photos; Cast, Crew and "Bear" Biographies; "Brideshead Revisited" Companion Guide - director's introduction, episode descriptions, and Evelyn Waugh biography; and Facts and Photos from Castle Howard, the real Brideshead.
Acorn Media has done DVDs of several other British series, such as The Pallisers, Agatha Christie's Poirot, LEXX, and the original TV version of Traffik.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
I love this show-- I'm hoping the DVD looks better than the washed-out VHS tapes I saw years ago.

I know something I'm asking for my birthday this summer.

I only wish New Line -- ahem, my employer -- would release Sturridge's equally stunning Waugh adaptation "A Handful Of Dust."

Greg Krewet

Premium
Supporter
I found an attractive price for Brideshead

at DDD. Those interested in Brideshead might also be interested in Churchill:The Wilderness Years a 7 hour drama

which originally was shown on Masterpiece Theater. I think it is also at a very low price at the above mentioned retailer.

Best

Greg

Paul O

Stunt Coordinator
I "ran" over to DDD and placed my order - i emailed BBC America about this a while ago and never got a response - i hate it when they announce the release of a DVD with such a short time between the release, doesnt give me enough time to stress out about it:D

Brandon Gantt

Second Unit
The BBC didn't produce Brideshead Revisited, which is probably why you didn't get a response.

It was produced by Granada for the ITV networks.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Excellent news - I'd heard rumours it was coming out, but nothing definite. I've never seen a decent view of this series. When it was first broadcast in the UK, I watched it on a small black and white portable in my student flat (sorry, apartment). The VHS issue was vile.

Ironically, and in spite of it being one of *the* great UK TV series, nobody has seen fit to release the DVD in the UK.

Duncan Harvey

Stunt Coordinator
lets hope that they do a new transfer to NTSC from the original 16mm negatives, and not a standards conversion from the aged PAL masters...

co-incidentally have just been watching Anthony Andrews and Jeremy Irons in "The Pallisers" a terrific set of DVDS.

Brandon Gantt

Second Unit
Acorn Media has said that restoration cost and music clearances is what took this so long to be released. That was just a few months ago, hopefully they've done more than just a cheap video clean up from the VHS masters.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Would this have been shot 25 fps, like many British TV shows shot on film at the time (so as not to jar with video segments in the same programme)?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks