What's new

Bowling For Columbine: (1 Viewer)

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Jack, the 5.1 track doesn't do a whole lot, but it does add a little extra to the atmosphere of the film. I just saw it in Dolby 5.1 last night at our local art house.
It definitely adds to the ambience, most notably during the scene where you are surrounded with the sound of a heartbeat gradually pumping faster and faster.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
There's also some language in the movie.

I love how this movie is slapped with an R, even though high schoolers should see it (Roger Ebert said this greatly in his interview)

But movies involving explosions and gunshots are given PG13 because they're "toned down" kills...

Nick_Scott

Second Unit
Please limit your discussion about Michael Moore as a documentarian
Jack- That is the point of the debate. Is MM a documentarian? Mainstream documentarians do not think so.
I didn't see the movie as a thoughtfull documentary, but a clever political satire.
Its like the people that watch Spinal Tap and ask "Why did Reiner do a documentary on a more popular band?".

Thats why I look forward to the DVD commentary. I don't expect him to go over his dogma since he covers that pretty well in the movie. I hope he'll go over the clever tricks he used like time-jumps, edits, and other manipulations. Its all brilliant stuff!

Has anyone heard the commentary yet?

Nick

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I'm glad it's coming out on DVD, as I only go to the theaters to seen films such as LOTR:FOTR. (Actually I'm waiting for the DVD of LOTR:TTT - I hate going to "public theaters".)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
With my friend we always disagree with the politics of Bono. He claims that if he is so concerned about Aids in Africa and dropping the debt of third world nations he should donate all of his earnings instead of "preaching" to his audience to donate their money. I guess if you are lucky to make money entertaining people you should keep your mouth shut.....
Your friend need to know that Bono devotes huge amounts of money to charity, I don't think it's public, but I would guess at least 50% of his net goes to the various charities he espouses. And more importantly he donates large amounts of his time and effort to various causes around the world. Anyone who has done volunteer work or spent a lot of time helping a local church or other charitable group should understand the sacrifice. Sorry about going off topic.

"Columbine" is on my list.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member

Nick, the point is that the discussion you want is already taking place in another thread about the film itself. That's all.

Eric Fisher

Stunt Coordinator
retail $27??

Isn't that a bit pricey? Come on Michael.. it should be under $20 especially considering the production value. I don't pay that for triple A movies!

and.. oh yes.. It is political satire and not a documentary. He manipulates the "facts" far too much to be taken seriously.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Eric, just how much influence do you think MM has on the price of the disc? I'll tell you. None.

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Manipulation of the facts? Depends on your political persuasion I suppose. As was discussed in the last thread, some people/places may be changes or snipped but that doesn't mean the underlying message is changed. MM is a filmmaker and uses editing to drive home is message. If you don't like the message, that doesn't mean it is wrong.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Nick (and others interested), as Jack has already mentioned there is a thread for discussion. This one has not been closed. This one has, for obvious reasons.

I can't speak for Patrick, but I'd be happy to share my view of the film (not the poltics) over there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks