What's new

BOTTOMLINE IT: Onkyo 800 -OR- Marantz 7300 (1 Viewer)

JeremyX

Stunt Coordinator
I have finally narrowed it down to two receivers at almost identical price points and features. Now I am just looking for a final vote or feedback on these two receivers.
It may indeed boil down to a good listen, but if anyone has any special insights they can share it would be very much appreciated. :)

Cire

Stunt Coordinator
:)
It should indeed boil down to a good listen like you said. Now that your choice has been narrowed down into 2, for me, the decision is totally yours, Jeremy.
Incidentally, my newly purchased receiver isn't very popular here because of the dreaded ticking and dropout bug (it's the 797). But what the heck! I like this receiver and I took the chance and I'm happy with my decision.
Good luck!

JeremyX

Stunt Coordinator
Who the hell is Mark Russ? :D
heh heh..okay so one vote for Marantz...
I won't be able to do an A/B test unfortunately...but I will be able to at least listen to them seperately in different shops.

Todd_Petersen

Stunt Coordinator
I just got a Onkyo 800 until i get the B&k 507 and the 800 is really nice. I had the 797 before and i was happy with that as well but the 800 seems to have a few more options.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Why not? Listening at different shops will be near impossible even IF you get an identical speaker setup, which is very unlikely. Take them both for an in-home audition. It's not unreasonable to ask for that at this price. Or maybe if you're dealing with a nice dealer, arrange one in-home audition, then take that receiver to the other shop to do A/B... ? I dunno, just an idea :b MY instincts would say Marantz all the way... but my instincts are just that.... a knee-jerk reaction not based on any knowledge or past experience with these models, but my general perception of the quality of these two brands. So, take that as only a 1/4 vote for marantz. Somehow, someway, you should be able to get a side-by-side in-depth listen. If not, wear a REAAAAALLY big jacket, and smuggle the two out and listen, and then return them and pay for the one you want :D . Nobody would notice a large rectangular bulge sticking out like a pot-belly :P

JeremyX

Stunt Coordinator
Well...all will be revealed soon...tomorrow the decision will be made and I hope no one loses any sleep over which I choose. :D

Yogi

Screenwriter
Everything being equal, I would choose the Marantz over the Onkyo any day. Great sound. Period.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks