What's new

boston vr-950 vs 970 (1 Viewer)

Mikey L

Agent
I am pricing new tower speakers, and am debating over the boston vr-950 vs. the 970....the main diffence between the two (other than price!) is the built in powered sub on the 970's. I don't currently have a sub and would be willing to spend the extra on the 970's if I could do without. My room is roughly 14x11 and I live upstairs in a two family apartment. My thinking is if I could get away with the subs in the 970s I might not piss off those downstairs. If a separate sub is a must, I would go with the 950s and use the extra cash on a separate sub...any ideas?

Wolf Jenkins

Stunt Coordinator
I've got the VR-960's & no other sub. I also live in an apartment - so FWIW...

I think the bass _does_ lack - and I do dream about an SVS quite often. The truth is that I have neighbors and don't want to 1) piss them off or 2) have to be constantly adjusting it, depending on if they are home or how late it is. The 960's have _ok_ bass - and I never come close to having it really loud. It's not ideal, but the 970's offer a decent compromise.

Nothing will take the place of a stand alone sub, but its not worth eviction, IMO.

Mikey L

Agent
thanks, i'm still debating this....the 950s are available to me at a decent price (I think!) at $550.00, which is making this decision that much more difficult.....

ken thompson

Second Unit
I've got the 975s and they would certainaly provide more bass than you will ever be able to use and not seriously piss someone off.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks