What's new

Boston Acoustics PV1000 sub is it any good??? (1 Viewer)

Scott Cunninghm

Stunt Coordinator
Noticed this sub at Good Guys. I thought it sounded decent for a 10", looked very nice (cherry veneer finish rather than crude black board case), and it had the controls on the front (who'd a thunk it??). It also had a very small footprint which is a definite plus. At $1000 it seemed awfully expensive.

Just looking for opinions on this product.

Other subs I am considering are the Velodyne CT100, CT120, and CT-150, VA-1210, and the Hsu VTF-2.

I cant find a stereo store in town that has all of these so I need advice from those of you in the know.

Geoff S

Stunt Coordinator
I've heard this sub, and own its smaller sibling the PV600 (10"/120watts) The Pv1000 sub has a 10" driver, and 10" passive radiator. All controls are are the front which is nice.

Also this sub is 1000 watts in 4 ohms!! So it's got some real power. Perhaps too much. It can acutally lift itself in the air if you give it a real good loud bass effect cause its so small, and weighs so little.

This sub is most ideal for a large room and with Boston's VR-M series of loud speakers, and make sure you strap it down.

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
I own the PV-1000 and am very happy with it. I will admit it's priced a tad high, but part of what you pay for is sound that compares to subs MUCH larger (you should be able to beat up the sales guy at CC for another 100 off). It has handled everything I've thrown at it with ease. I have not heard the Hsu, but I preferred it over any Velodyne's I've heard.

Geoff is correct -- if you don't strap that sucker down, it will dance into the next town -- that kind of power in that size doesn't like to sit still.

It has one small plus to many subs I've seen: metal mesh grills over both the passive and active cones. Why does this matter? My wife has many cats, and I have lost a perfectly good subwoofer to their claws in the past...

Gabriel_Lowe

Auditioning
How do you recommend strapping this down? I have one as well, and this is my only complaint about it. It has excellent musical quality, great dynamic range, but it literally will slide across the floor. I have it on a hardwood floor using the rubber feet right now. Eventually it will go in a carpeted dedicated theater room. In the meantime, how can I secure it?

RobCar

Stunt Coordinator
I've looked at the Boston line and am pretty close to pulling the trigger on the PV600. I have a small room and a budget, so the PV1000 hasn't been on the list, but a friend has one and raves aobut it, which is why I went a listened to the 600.

Anyone ever listen to the PV500? I'd consider settling on that to save a little, but haven't been able to find one to listen to.

I liked this sub initially it seems identical to the Cambridge soundworks sub.
P1000
Atleast the specs seem the same except the active driver's orientation.
PV1000
Not to take anything away from either of these products but I would look for a sub with more extention.
A Vandersteen sub or a Paradigm Servo-15 with feed forward/feedback error correction and extention below 20Hz are just a few dollars more. I would suggest that you atleast give these a listen.

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
The PV1000 should have come with velcro strips to hold it down.
A lot has changed since August, and I purchased an SVS a couple of months ago. I wrote a review of the switch from BA to SVS at robbroy.net/HT/.
-Robb

Nick L

Second Unit
Right now that sub is on closeout at Ultimate Electronis or Audio King. I think its down to $649(at least here in Des Moines).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks