What's new

Bose Speakers (1 Viewer)

Larry Karp

Auditioning
I am ready to purchase speakers for my to be built home theater. I am seriously considering a Sony kf50we610 50" HDTV LCD Monitor and Yamaha 2400 receiver.

I have received mixed reviews about purchasing Bose speakers to finish my home theater purchase.

Any recommendations?

John S

Senior HTF Member
Nearly anything but Bose for less than half the price...

They are going away, but these days I suggest 3 pair of JBL S26II's for cost effectiveness. Add something like a 15" Velodyne Powered Subwoofer, and you got a Bose system slayer for about $1000 total.

Mike_J_D

Stunt Coordinator
Yes stay away, far far away from Bose. Johns recommendation is a good one. Also Axiom, Paradigm, Rockets (AV123) would all be better choices. Here are a the websites.

www.axiomaudio.com

www.av123.com

www.paradigm.com

the Paradigm site doesn't list prices...but it does have a dealer finder. Also Axiom and AV123 are online buys only. But if you do a search on the forum you will see they are both well recieved. Good luck on your quest. And to reiterate stay away from Bose. I've been trying to convince my boss to chuck his for three yrs. Maybe thats why he has never been to my house.:D :D :D

John S

Senior HTF Member
I like them myself... BA speakers always seem like great pargains for their performance. Certainly Bose slayers as well....

Nhan_H

Second Unit
Every suggestion, so far seems to be pointing you in the right direction. Not sure where you are finding conflicting reviews about the Blose speakers. I think it's almost conclusive here, and most other audio forums that Blose are a bad buy (performance and money). Also, I'm not familiar with too many of the Boston Acoustic speakers, other than some I've listened to a little bit at a local Ultimate Electronics. Which Bostons are you asking about? Also, what is the size of your room (volume-wise)? What speakers have you heard (other than Blose) that you like? The 2400 is definitely an overkill for Blose or most satellite speakers. Also, what size speakers are you looking for (I assume satellite to small bookshelves?)

I owned Bose and they were fine but there is better for less money.They get bashed quite harshly by many people but they are not bad speakers just check out others before buying. The public relations(marketing)and image that Bose has does influence people into thinking they are the Rolls Royce of speakers, so they sell them for Rolls prices. Once I heard Polk speakers I made it a point to get rid of my Bose and get them. You may find out the same thing or like another brand better but dont limit your choices and go with what sounds good to you. Good luck.

Lee Distad

Stunt Coordinator
The Totem DreamCatcher clobbers every other surround speaker package I deal with. With a sturdy amp, it gives an excellent accounting of itself for multi-channel music.

Between the Dreamcatcher 5.1 for CDN$2295 and the Bose AM16 6.1 for $2299, it's not even a fair contest.

My favorite rock demo is the Multi SACD reissue of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon. Although my colleague Liam (Lee and Liam in one department, it really makes it rough for the receptionist) enjoys his DVD-A copy of Metallica's Black.

David James

Stunt Coordinator
Buy what you think sounds good, not what other people tell you sounds good. You ears need to be the judge, not anonymous people's opinions on the Internet. If it's Bose, then buy them.

Hi,

If your reason for thinking Bose is size and aesthetics then you might want to consider the HSU Ventriloquist system. It will wipe the floor with the bose AND at a fraction of the price too.

linky

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Just two questions: What is your budget? What size room will the system be in?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks