What's new

BOSE Media Center? (1 Viewer)

Shane J

Stunt Coordinator
On my quest to find a media center...I have come up nearly empty. I visited two home theater stores today and they said that the closest thing they have to a media center is $2000 and does not have the capability to select songs via a display on a remote control

That being said, I pose this question to this forum:

Can the Bose Media center be used with a NON-BOSE sub, receiver, and speakers?

Thanks
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

FeisalK

Screenwriter
Would either of these fit? (maybe the Sonos?)

1) http://www.kaleidescape.com/
The kaleidescape is basically a 4.4TB server (with backup harddisk) which can store up to 660 dvds.
All dvd content is ripped out, and it will interact with a server to input details like cover art, actors, and synopsis in the catalogue.
You just purchase the wireless modules which allow you to playback the stored dvds in your house.
There are other options like filtering to screen out certain movies unless indicated too (like for children).

Video Outputs HDMI™, Component YPbPr (3x BNC), S-Video (mini-DIN), and Composite (BNC)
Video Formats NTSC 480i, 480p; PAL 576i, 576p; High-Definition 720p and 1080i
Audio Outputs HDMI, Coax digital (BNC), Optical digital (TosLink™), Analog stereo (2x RCA)
Audio Formats Dolby™ Digital, DTS™, MPEG Audio, PCM

2) http://www.sonos.com/us/index.htm
Sonos is a little like the squeezebox concept, except for two major differences:
(i) the remote control has a 3.5 inch LCD screen which allows you to view song titles and album art, etc. It even allows you to easily scroll through what is playing in each room, and create groups within rooms for same playlist playback (e.g. living room + dining room + kitchen).
(ii) inbuilt 50w 2ch amp so you can hook to speakers immediately

3. http://www.slimdevices.com/
Squeezebox is a wireless media player (need a PC)

(thanks to Quest from XP who did the research :) )

James Phung

Second Unit
I think a cheaper solution would be getting the iodata linkplayer2 and attach a usb hard drive to it (or connect the player to your LAN to stream music off of it) or the similar Buffalo Linktheater (that uses wireless). There's also the roku soundbridge and dlink wireless media player.

XBOX 360 with hard drive works as a media server also.

Shane J

Stunt Coordinator
That SONOS system is exactly what I have been looking for.

Thank you so much.

I have decided to go with one dedicated system to home theater and a completely other system dedicated to music throughout my home....the sonos system.

Shane J

Stunt Coordinator
anyone know if the sanos player can use a wireless card rather than using a cat5 cable directly to my computer?

FeisalK

Screenwriter
neat.. it's Tripath powered

ZonePlayer features

Built-in wireless capability
Connects ZonePlayers wirelessly when a wired Ethernet connection is not available.
NOTE:The first ZonePlayer you install must connect to your home network using a standard Ethernet cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks