What's new

BOSE apologist extravaganza (1 Viewer)

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
Do you know how loud 115db is for sustained music or movies? If it was really that loud, everyone would be covering there ears and yelling, "TURN THAT PEICE OF SHIT OFF!".
lol, just the thought of listening to a bose system at 115db makes my ears hurt.

Miklsan K

Agent
Not to pile on, but I have been through Bose sales training and Oscar, you are touting the wrong technology. I would hope that a Bose Sales Rep would be able to get his technologies correct. Video Stage 5 is the proprietary 5.1 processing technology Bose uses in their surround systems - the Bose version of Dolby Digital. The cool new technology you described is actually called AdaptIQ(tm). I must admit, AdaptIQ is pretty cool. It is an auto room calibration system unlike any other I have seen. The user puts on a special set of headphones with built-in microphones and the system calibrates equalization and delays for each individual channel. Im an not a "Bose apologist" and I don't own any Bose speakers. Having said that, the PVC pipe demo is quite impressive.

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
I was in an average sized room with an Acoustic Wave Music System playing at full volume. A decibel meter was passed around the class. It read 115 decibels.
:) Besides what members here have already said about that being incredibly loud, lets just assume that everyone was issued ear protection prior to this experiment. Does anyone really believe that the system would measure at 115db (or any level) across the ENTIRE room as the meter was passed around?
Oh, and I can get my headphones on my computer to play 115 db too. Just crank it up and shove the meter into the ear cup. It's bad enough that BOSE charges so much, now they have to come up with specs and claims that prey on the ignorant consumers.:thumbsdown:

Wait a second, let's slow down here. The thread in the other forum (I don't think we're allowed to advertise other forums, even non-HT ones) contained some posts by a guy purporting to be a Bose sales representative. Yeah, he made some pretty outrageous claims, but I can see how he might only remember a few facts and figures, and not all of the technical details. After all, he's selling a product that is designed for people who want to buy speakers, hide them in a corner, and never have to see or touch them again. For such people, Bose might well be the best choice, and I can see how their representatives wouldn't have to know much beyond a few capitalized Bose buzzwords (Bosewords?).

In fact, he only butts heads with home theater junkies like most of us when he suggests that Bose is the best option available. A couple of people tried to point out that you can achieve superior performance for less money if you're willing to invest a little time, and he got all huffy and offended. Granted, there were a few "BOSE SUX LOL" replies, but by and large people just wanted him to back up his claims about the equipment he sells.

The thread in the other forum is pretty much dead at this point anyway, and he never returned with his promised technical details. Oh well.

Edit to add that I've seen Dan Hine's signature a hundred times, and it still makes me smile every time.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Quote:

Name another sound company with similar credentials.

October 2002
JBL Professional EVO Installed in Leopold Museum in Vienna.
JBL Professional's EVO speakers were chosen for installation into Vienna's new Leopold Museum.

Detroit's New Ford Field Chooses Precision Directivity™ Speakers
Six main arrays of PD™ Series speakers provide world-class sound for $500,000,000 stadium.

PD™ Series from JBL is Gaining Rapid Acceptance
Precision Directivity loudspeakers are being installed in Arenas, Stadiums and Large Performance Sites worldwide.

BTV Systems Inc. Installs SMS1 Soundzone Music System
Detroit area Business Television Video Systems, Inc. has found the SMS1 system from JBL Professional to be ideal for small retailers, including Fossil Accessory stores.

September 2002
Largest VerTec System in Mexico To Date
With 92 JBL VerTec VT4889 boxes, the Lenny Kravitz show in Mexico City utilized the largest VerTec system in Mexico to date.

On Stage Audio Deploys New Compact VerTec Models for General Motors Conferences
Prior to their introduction, JBL's new compact VerTec models were utilized by On Stage Audio for a nationwide series of GM dealer conferences.

International Acts Specify VerTec Line Arrays
On their recent European tours, Lenny Kravitz, No Doubt, Neil Diamond and others tour with VerTec speakers. More international news here.

August 2002

JBL Professional Fills Hoover Dam
Over 60 JBL Professional speakers were used in the recent Centennial Celebration for the Bureau of Reclamation. The 100th Anniversary celebration took place at the Hoover Dam, one of America's seven engineering wonders.

July 2002

The Winans Hit the Road with JBL Professional
The Winans, the pre-eminent gospel group in the United States, are using JBL EON15 G2 powered speakers to help them deliver their inspirational message by serving as backline amplification for all three keyboardists on the tour.

June 2002

BBC in Lisbon Boasts NEW JBL EVO Installation
The newly opened BBC venue has fast become the place the cool cats in Lisbon hang out! It's also the first JBL EVO installation in Lisbon.

May 2002
JBL Professional VerTec at Rod Stewart Show in Mexico City

JBL Professional's VerTec at the Billboard Latin Music Awards Show

Bayerischer Rundfunkgoes for JBL 3632 Cinema system
The Bayerischer Rundfunk (Bavarian Broadcast), have just installed a JBL Cinema Surround System.

VerTec System to Provide Audio at World Cup Opening Ceremony
At the May 31 World Cup Opening Ceremony, 64 VerTec Line Array speakers helped to kick off the games at a four hour extravaganza.

The Who 2002 US Tour Sponsored by JBL
JBL, the leader in professional, home and automotive sound, announced it is the official tour sponsor of the 2002 US summer tour of The Who.

E&E Installs Singapore's True Audio Matrix System
Electronics and Engineering (E&E) Pte Ltd has recently completed one of Singapore's most sophisticated ballroom audio matrix system in the Laguna National Golf and Country Club, one of the premier golf clubs in the region.

April 2002

JBL VerTec Stars at USA's Premier Entertainment Events
A growing number of the United States' most prestigious entertainment productions are benefiting from JBL's VerTec technology. With JBL's model VT4889 loudspeaker systems in use at a broad range of broadcast events, concerts and awards shows, the lightweight, high-fidelity line array system has become an oft-requested sound reinforcement solution for premier events.

JBL VerTec at the Norwegian Spellemannprisen Awards
A 28-box JBL VERTEC line-array system, powered by Crown MA Series amplifiers with BSS digital system controllers was recently supplied by a new Norwegian sound company, Audio One, for two major national events.

March 2002

VerTec Flies High in Norway
VerTec line array system was used by Audio One at the high-profile Idrettsgalla event in Norway. Staged in the Hamar Olympic Ice Hockey Stadium and broadcast by NRK, this awards show honored the very best of Norwegian athletes.

Mann's Grauman's Chinese Theater
Complete renovation includes JBL Professional ScreenArray® and Surround Speakers.

February 2002

Poland's HistoricTeatr Komedia Chooses JBL EVO System for Audio Upgrade
The new EVO speaker system from JBL Professional has been installed at the high profile Teatr Komedia in Warsaw.

The Volvo Cup Yacht Race was welcomed to its third stop in Auckland, New Zealand with an eight-hour concert featuring JBL Professional HLA speakers.

January 2002

Major American Rental Sound Firms Adopt JBL VerTec Line Array System
A growing number of the country's experienced high-profile sound system providers are choosing the VerTec line array system from JBL.

JBL LSR Monitors On Tour With Britney Spears
Monty Lee Wilkes, Britney Spears tour FOH mixer, relies on JBL LSR Professional Recording Monitors as his on-console speaker system.

JBL EVO Intelligent Speakers Installed At Florida's B'Nai Torah Temple
The EVO Intelligent loudspeaker system installed at the B'nai Torah Temple includes two EVOi.324 powered speakers mounted on the sides of the stage.

December 2001

Magic Masters Draws a Crowd with JBL Speakers
In one of America's busiest retail sites, Downtown Disney in Orlando, Magic Masters desmontrates and sells magic tricks with patter and music supported by JBL Control Contractor speakers.

Neil Diamond Tours USA with JBL VERTEC™ Line Array.
Stanley Miller has selected VERTEC for the Neil Diamond tour, for venues with audience sizes ranging from 8,000-20,000. Sixty-four JBL VT4889 enclosures from Maryland Sound Int'l. are in use.

JBL PRO-FILE - Tom "T-Bone" Edmonds and his LSR Monitors.
Using the JBL LSR28P and LSR12P Monitors Live and in the Studio with Lenny Kravitz, The Cult.

November 2001

Concert Theaters Embracing JBL VerTec™ Line Array Speakers.
The Wiltern in Los Angeles and Houston's Aerial Theater at Bayou Place opt for VerTec Line Array systems.

The Bridge Cinema Delux Features New Amenities and JBL Speakers.
This upscale movie theatre in Los Angeles features ticketed seating, eclectic food, an onsite bar and JBL Cinema speaker systems.

If you want to read more Archived JBL Pro News - go here!

NOTE: I've heard that many JBL System upgrades around the US, Japan & Europe, ... replaced the Bose system!

Phil

Oscar_R

Second Unit
teh forum is www.somethingawful.com
I didn't include a direct link because the site requires
a $10 registration fee, so it would be kind of pointless
if you weren't already a member.
it really is too bad the guy didn't come back with all the promised technical information that was promised.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
It is an auto room calibration system unlike any other I have seen.
I don't have all the details to hand, but I believe the new Pioneer receiver (VSX-A10, I think) has a self-calibration "mode", where you place a supplied microphone at the listening spot, plug it into the receiver, and it calibrates itself, i.e. adjusting the speaker's volume levels and delay times. so I'd hardly say Bose is unique.

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
All the technical stuff aside, all I know is:

I gave Bose a chance,
I sat through their auditorium-style demo of a top of the line Bose Lifestyle System,
I enjoyed the dramatics of popping off the fake bookshelf-type speaker box and revealing the little Lifestyle speakers underneath,
But,
The system sounded harsh and grainy to me, and within two or three minutes "sonic fatigue" set in, and I was glad to get out of the auditorium.

I'm no golden-eared wonder, but the demo turned me OFF the system at any price.

Jan

Mark R O

Stunt Coordinator
Bose has 500 engineers? Wow, I didn't even know they had a railroad...
Headphones and Bose, no thanks. Besides, my EAD preamp does level matching, distance calibration and
phase correction. I just tape the mic to my forehead to get that Bose advantage.
The Room tune deal sounds like a must own when I build my dream home out of big assed PVC pipe.
Sure it works equaly well for those who live in conventional dwellings but always have their head over a bong.
Any employee of a speaker company founded on the doctrine that a speaker should face the wall instead of the listener shall have all speaking, writing, decision making and breeding privileges revoked. Please limit all activity to flatulance.
I will never, ever buy another Herbie Hancock album.
The Kloss radio- $100, the Advent radio- $100, the Proton radio- $100, the Cambridge remake- $100, the Bose radio- $1000.00!!! But hey, no interest plan, wave the shipping, and the stand that keeps it from buzzing off the edge of the table and gives it 1979 integration capabilities is free!
I was gonna get those wonderful little cube speakers but every time I look at 'em with one pointed one way and the other pointed over there, it makes my eyes cross. (ever see the movie "the jerk"?) Let's sue 'em.
And one last query to the Bose faithful... What have you got against tweeters? What did they ever do to you?
It's only a matter of time before Bose sales asses are banging on my door at 6 am on Sat. morning and handing me literature...
"Mr. Boserguy, meet Mikey the Pit Bull. Mikey, met Mr. Boserguy..."

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The cool new technology you described is actually called AdaptIQ(tm). I must admit, AdaptIQ is pretty cool. It is an auto room calibration system unlike any other I have seen.
My Pioneer Elite VSX-47TX receiver has an auto-calibration system called MCACC, which stands for Multi-Channel Acoustic Calibration System (not sure why they don't call it MCACS, but that's not the point). It works very well, and is not dependent on using Pioneer-brand speakers, as is the Bose system. Bose does not have a monopoly on such features, despite what they lead you to believe with their marketing hype.

O course, my receiver does lack Video Stage 5...

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Questions (or statements):

1. What was the size of the room? Average to me may not equal average to you.

2. How much variation was there on the meter? Did it work correctly?

3. How much stuff was in the room?

4. How far away did you hold the meter? (Distance between the meter and the Acoustic Wave.)

5. What SPL will the AM bass module do at 20Hz with a 10% THD?

6. Why the frequency gap in the AM speakers and bass module (from 200Hz to 280Hz)?

James Edward

Supporting Actor
I have been a HTF member for 2.5 years, and it never ceases to amaze me how much energy people will pour into bashing Bose. I've been to the store demos, and yes, they really don't sound all that good.
But they're not marketing cancer medication that doesn't work, or running nursing homes that mistreat the elderly, or selling tainted food.
I just don't get the need to bash them so vehemently. Yes, a lot of the responses were tongue in cheek, but still...
And now I've wasted 10 minutes in this thread. :angry:

Andy Anderson

Second Unit
You know--Video Stage 5 helped me kick my heroin addiction.
Video Stage 5 also greatly improved my prostate health, and is teaching my dog how to roll over. To quote a Bose Rep, "I mean Jesus fucking Christ," I can't imagine how I lived my life without Video Stage 5. Someone pass the PVC, I've got some music to listen to.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
But they're not marketing cancer medication...
You obviously don't understand the power of Video Stage 5.

I think the feeling the anti-bose groups get is the same as the OAR fans get when they see a rack full of P&S.

It's disheartening and frustrating to see the general public so easily duped into believing marketing hype that the thousands of dollars they are spending are actually getting them something worth thousands of dollars.

It makes you realize how easily people can be manipulated.

alan_dana

Agent
Kirk,

You have 30 seconds to beam over the Video Stage 5 project or I will blow up Enterprise and kill your son!

Kahn

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
I used to work a 9 to 5 job like every other person out
there. I worked 5 sometimes even 6 days a week and many times
I worked more than 60 hours a week. I never seemed to get
ahead in life and I never had the "Finer" things I always
hear wealthy people speak of. So I was up late on night and
I was watching the tv when an Infomercial came on. I am a
very skeptical person so I sat in disbelief at the things I
saw on this infomercial. Herbie Hancock is a respected name
and I slowly came to believe what I was witnessing. So I
took the leap of faith, got out my credit card and placed
the call. The sales people at Bose were very pleasant and
very helpful. They knew my dillemma well, they said they
have seen it a thousand times before.

A few weeks rolled by and not much had changed in my life.
Then one day a small package arrived from UPS and I opened
it to discover my Bose Acoustic Wave Music System with Video
Stage 5. Working out of my small one bedroom apartment I was
able to successfully generate enough extra revenue by DJ'ing
with my Acoustic Wave Radio that soon I quit my full time
job. All of the people I DJ'd for could not believe the sound
that eminated from this small, wonderful, little package.

My life has completely changed. I can now appreciate the finer
things in life. I can savor the more expensive 10 dollar a
bottle wines, I bought my first high end watch (Timex Indiglo)
I even sprung for extended cable to make use of Video Stage 5!

Bose has turned my life around and I can never thank Dr.Amar Bose
or the power of Video Stage 5, enough!'

You truly can't fathom the power of Video Stage 5 untill you
have seen it yourself!

Thank you Bose for saving me from a life of destitution!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks