What's new

Bose Acoustimass® 15 Series II & Sony STR-DA5ES (1 Viewer)

kuphryn

Auditioning
Hi.

My friend has a Sony STR-DA5ES home audio receiver. He bought Bose Acoustimass® 15 Series II set. However, the speaker system sounded nothing like what we heard at the store. They are not loud! Furthermore, the subwoofer is weak. There is no normal connector for a subwoofer on the receive.

First, I would like to know how do they make the Bose speaks sound so loud in showers?

Secondly, should he go with just two loadspeakers and a center? This is my setup.

Thanks,
Kuphryn

Paul Seyfarth

Stunt Coordinator
He should return, or put up those speakers on ebay. Then go out and get some good speakers.

How much money do you want to spend?

terence

Supporting Actor
kuphryn, take the Bose back if you can and audition other speakers in your home. Bose will not deliver the performance you are looking for nor will you get the full potential from your 5ES. Also do a serach on Bose here on this forum and see why bose is not what they say there are. Oh you already have first knowledge of this now. Get out there and have fun looking at some speakers that will give you what you want.

kuphryn

Auditioning
Good point. Sony audio receivers suck!

What's the best if money is no issue?

Kuphryn

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Sony has 3 levels of quality: The DE, DB, and ES series. The ES series definitely does NOT suck. Between the Bose and the STR-DA5ES I guarantee you that the weak link is not the receiver. Hell, I even once owned a DE receiver with Radioshack speakers and it still plays plenty loud (if that's what you're after) in my parents house.

First, I would like to know how do they make the Bose speaks sound so loud in showers?
Well, it's a shower...a small enclosed space. Bose requires that their setup be placed a certain way and typically that "way" is not how you're likely to set them up at home.

And for what he paid for that system he can no doubt get a VERY capable 5.1 or even 6.1 system. What's the exact budget?

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
I'd tell hiim to go back to the Bose outlet and get a copy of the demo CD they use. Then his system will sound as good as it did in store (since the demo CDs they use avoid the frequencies where Acoustimass® systems have problems).

Saying Sony receivers suck is a pretty sweeping statement. Just about all the mass market receivers at the lower end suck.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
I'll come out and say it Bose sucks, it doesn't matter what amp, AVR, or integrated it's put on it's a horrible speaker design (simple physics, wrong drivers, wrong cabinet size, and wrong implementations). My advice is buy any other brand of 5.1 speaker packages with a powered sub, spl meter, and a calibrations disc (Avia, Video Essentials, Ultimate Platinum, etc) and set it up correctly.

Sometimes you get what you pay for, but in this case bose is like paying for KC strip and getting a happy meal burger.

kuphryn

Auditioning
I know!!!

It's not my money! It's my friends. I told him Bose sucks, but he insisted on keeping the system.

Oh well. As for me, two loudspeakers and a center will do.

Kuphryn

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I own a sony DA5es reciever in my living room and it is most certaintly a beautiful reciever that can play QUITE loud. most of the time I listen to it on the -55 to -50 setting which is quite a modest setting yet it still puts out enough that at times it still feel loud. movies are almost always watched at -40 to -36 which is LOUD, enough that I can make glass bottles fall of the shelves with the subs.

now anyway, The new lines that Bose has out do suck. . . matter of fact their original lines suck. But I do own an acoustimass 5 setup, this was the two 4" cubes which actually sound pretty good. the module is unpowered but blends well, added on a half off KSW 15 and voila, computer speakers :D.

anyway, I full heartedly agree as someone who owns a set of bose speakers and the sony DA5es, that the reciever is very very good and the speakers are very very bad.

Santor

Auditioning
Real Name
Sasha vDragicch
sers

You work for sony. Iti is only thing that could explain feirce defend of sony bad tuners. THey did they work bad, wery bad. I have Sony STR-DE 475. This is a shame for all tunes I have . Nothing to cach. Shame to you. IU hope that Sony pay you BIG bucks. Otherwise you are a loo

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
Tell your friend that he has figured out the Bose scam. Cheap under performing satellites with 2" drivers and a sub that is not really a sub. All made to sound good in the show room with a specially produced audio program that is not the music you have at home.

You will find two scams discussed on this form: White Van Speakers, and Bose Cubes. Pick your poison but your buddy got taken to the cleaners. Sometimes penance is good for the soul so if he won't take them back then let him live with them.

Michael Simpson

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
Hello all, Not sure why you would be experiencing any issues with your components. The amp (receiver) is of good build as are the loudspeakers. I would advise that you ensure that all cables are polarity correct so all the speakers are in phase. Have you run any form of sound check audio signals through the system? What are the room dimensions as this could play a major part of your room acoustics, if you put any loudspeakers in an airing cupboard and this will have a detrimental effect on any loudspeakers performance. I would definitely run some logical tests on the entire system as you have two nice bits of kit and they should work very nicely hand in hand. How loud are you trying to go? If you want high fidelity then the Bose do this extremely well (lifestyle systems) if you want to shift some serious air then have a look at cerwin vega. You neighbours will hate you but you can smile while your eardrums cry for a timeout. Definitely get another set of loudspeakers and run them of your amp to see if there is a problem at that end. Good luck

Michael Simpson

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
Hello all, Not sure why you would be experiencing any issues with your components. The amp (receiver) is of good build as are the loudspeakers. I would advise that you ensure that all cables are polarity correct so all the speakers are in phase. Have you run any form of sound check audio signals through the system? What are the room dimensions as this could play a major part of your room acoustics, if you put any loudspeakers in an airing cupboard and this will have a detrimental effect on any loudspeakers performance. I would definitely run some logical tests on the entire system as you have two nice bits of kit and they should work very nicely hand in hand. How loud are you trying to go? If you want high fidelity then the Bose do this extremely well (lifestyle systems) if you want to shift some serious air then have a look at cerwin vega. You neighbours will hate you but you can smile while your eardrums cry for a timeout. Definitely get another set of loudspeakers and run them of your amp to see if there is a problem at that end. Good luck

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I doubt the original poster is still around.

That initial post was made in April 2003. And the OP hasn't been active here since then.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks