What's new

Upgrade Bose 321GS Series II? (Acoustimass link) (1 Viewer)

Dshow

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan Showalter
Hi,
I have a Bose 321 GS Series II sound system with my TV. I would like to upgrade the 'receiver' portion and keep using the subwoofer and speakers. The only issue is, the receiver is connected to the speakers via an acoustimass link cable... (proprietary square connectors on each end).

Is it possible to reuse these speakers/subwoofer on another brand receiver (without cutting off this connector and putting on the correct connections)? Does anyone know of an adapter harness the would allow this Acoustimass connector to connect to general outputs?

(I used to love Bose... The more I dig into this, the more I hate Bose...)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
In short, the answer is "No". It's basically a closed, proprietary system, and the head unit has to apply massive equalization to the audio signal to get the speakers to sound decent. Those systems are essentially an all or nothing deal.

Dshow

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan Showalter
Thanks John.

How is Bose regarded among audiophiles? I used to love it until I started realizing how proprietary everything was... Make me think of Betamax......

Dshow

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan Showalter
Let me ask this question... This system has a DVD player. I'd like to have the same thing, only with a Blu-Ray player. Is the only option to add an external Blu-Ray player?

Thanks.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Thanks John.

How is Bose regarded among audiophiles?
There's a saying. "No highs. No Lows. Must be Bose."
In other words, no fidelity and no dynamics. Just about as bad as it can get. But it makes up for it by being massively overpriced.

Let me ask this question... This system has a DVD player. I'd like to have the same thing, only with a Blu-Ray player. Is the only option to add an external Blu-Ray player?

Thanks.
Do you mean an all-in-one system, instead of a separate receiver and disc player? You tend to be back in a similar boat. Plus disc players tend to have a short life, then you're sunk when it dies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PovertyRowFan
Recent bookmarks