Boosting Radio Reception?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DeathStar1, May 15, 2002.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Just my luck that the one radio station I keep the dial on dosn't get great reception in my area.

When I tune it at night, it sounds great. Yet when I listen back to the tape of the morning show I listen to later inthe afternoon, it's all fuzzy. Yet I didn't change the dial, or position of the radio at all.

This gets very annoying after a while. Is there anyway I can boost reception signal for this thing? I'll tape some of their funnier radio bits for archiving now and then, and it makes it annoying to listen to with all that static.

Thanks!

2. Ian Wilson

Ian Wilson Agent

You need a better antenna or a more sensitive radio, aka World receiver. The reason why you can hear it so well at night and so poorly during the day is the ionosphere. Shortwave or AM signals use Sky-wave to achieve long transmission distances (they bounce the signal off the ionosphere). The ionosphere changes between night and day - hence you get better reception at night than during the day.

Ian

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

4. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor

5. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

6. Bill Buklis

Bill Buklis Supporting Actor

Bill Buklis
    Which AM Chicago station? I've noticed that WGN 720 seems to get the greatest distance. I was able to pick it up at ground level (not clearly, but audible) as far away as Madison, WI. (3-4 hr drive). It may have been at night; I don't remember.

I think WGN may have the highest wattage of all Chicago radio stations - probably for all those Cub fans scattered around.

7. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

it probably was WGN, my flight instructor that was along for the ride was from chicago and tuned it so I don't recal, I'm pretty sure there was a cubs game on though [​IMG]
    I was through madison and chicago a few weeks ago on my way to indianapolis to pick up a motorcycle. I got lost in chicago trying to find this guys house to drop off a motorcycle he bought from me, he said to take some highway (179?) then to 12 north and he lived up there, well I must have missed 179 because I never saw it and picked up 12 down by O'hare [​IMG]