Are expensive rabbit ears worth it?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Anh Pham, Oct 19, 2002.

1. Anh Pham

Anh Pham Auditioning

I need a new antenna for my television. I saw a wide variety at Radio Shack but a lot of them cost in a range of $20-$40. Apparently you can plug them into the electrical socket and it'll help boost reception (how that works I have no idea). I can't help but think the more expensive ones are just a clever marketing tool used to gouge the consumer out of more money.

Should I just go ahead and spend as little as possible for the traditional rabbit ears or should I bite the bullet and get the expensive ones?

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

well sounds like you've got a reception problem there. rather than recommend something just yet, tell us a bit about the nature of the problem, if you can use an external antenna, if you've already determined your cable company doesn't provide stations, apartment or house...any buildings around.
    sometimes there are solutions sometimes they're only partial.

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Personally I think high-priced “rabbit ears” are a waste of money. For the same price or less you can get a “real” antenna. Of course, they are harder to install, but if you have your own house, it’s worth it.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. Clay Autery

Clay Autery Stunt Coordinator

If you are willing to pay $40.00, you should seriously consider a REAL antenna... [​IMG]
    As said before... describe your reception problem in as much detail as possible... Also tell us what your environmental situation is.... House? Size? Surrounding terrain? Orientation of TV xmitters from your location? Single azimuth? More than one azimuth (more than 30 degrees between), etc, etc...
    The more we know, the more we can help... [​IMG]