What's new

bookshelfs (1 Viewer)

dylanST

Auditioning
I have decided instead of going for a 5.1 speaker system that ill get two bookshelfs to start. This is because i live in a dorm(terrible acoustics and crappy speaker placement) and a dont have a lot of money. Am i making the wrong move? If im not, what are good bookshelfs...the best bang for my buck but will also easily convert into surrounds when i upgrade

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
If you have Fry's store close, check out Polk R15's for $40 a pair when on sale. Heck, even a full 5.0 system with them would only be $120 + tax.

If no Fry's in the area, keep an eye on www.outpost.com

MikeNg

Second Unit
IMO, the best bang for your buck will be internet-based direct retail outfits, like AV123, SVSound, Axiom, etc.

How many bucks do you have to work with? ;)

John S

Senior HTF Member
2 better bookshelfs that you plan on keeping as you upgrade is not a bad idea. With the dorm situation, if you could swing two decent towers this may play to this logic a little better.

If you can swing 2 pair, you will have a reasonble representation of 5.1 running on 4.0 system. Phantom center channels can and are created when running this way.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
These aren't exactly the same as the similar & revered S38s that many people here own, but I think these would be a good pair of speakers for a very good stereo system and still have some "feelable" bass but which shouldn't bother neighbors/R.A.s too much:

JBL E50

8" woofer in a quietly classy horizontal cabinet, just like many of JBL's studio monitors (they look really nice with the grills on-I think they are selling these for less than $299).

They're not exactly usable as surrounds in a small room, but was thinking more of short-term enjoyment while in school.

BTW: if you do stick with a stereo system, when watching a dvd use its stereo or "Dolby Surround" audio option if it's available-this will ensure proper stereo imaging and placement of on-screen sound effects (downmixed 5.1 tracks can sound messy).

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
Or, another take is, a good pair is always good, even if it ends up somewhere other than a theater situation later.

Some older films, back when they knew how to mix audio, sound better in stereo than they do in ProLogic. (My great example of this is Empire Strikes Back, Definitive Collection Laserdisc or "Faces" laserdisc.)

Leo

Torgny Nilsson

Second Unit
Internet speaker companies will give you the best bang for your buck, in my opinion. Cambridge SoundWorks makes some really good sounding speakers in various price ranges. I especially like their Newton series speakers (though I don't think much of their subs).

If you are only getting 2 speakers, you may do better with tower speakers if your space allows. But as someone pointed out, you can always find a use for some good bookshelf speakers if you move or no longer need them for your HT.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks