What's new

Blues CD of 2002: Buddy Guy, Sweet Tea (1 Viewer)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Holy cow!

I've been listening to the Buddy Guy blues CD Sweet Tea. Performance...to die for. Recording...to die for, still just pure 44khz redbook.

Highly recommended.

Any other blues fans (and favorite CDs) out there?

Lee

James RD

Supporting Actor
Thanks, Lee, I'll look for that one! My blues collection is not extensive but here are a few I've been enjoying lately:

Etta James - Matriarch of the Blues

Tommy Castro Band - Guilty of Love

John Hammond - Wicked Grin

KrisM

Second Unit
Lee,

I couldn't agree more. I love this disc. The more I listen to it, the more I like it. I liked Buddy's music to begin with, but I think this disc will be one of the albums that defines his career.

I saw him live in support of this disc and it was a great show. It was a couple of days after John Lee Hooker's death and you could tell Buddy was still bothered by it, but he still put on a good performance. The first time I saw him perform he was a little more upbeat. I was front row center and had to put up with a 4'4" biker poking me in the back of the knee with his cane for that show but it was worth it.

Some of the blues discs I've been into lately:

Mike Henderson-First Blood & Thicker Than Water

Elmore James-Dust My Broom-A compilation of his later recordings that I never get tired of.

Muddy Waters-Live At Newport 1960-A new remaster that every Muddy fan should own.

A Hound Dog Taylor compilation(home-made)

Hound Dog Taylor-Tribute-One of the few tribute albums worth buying.

Jimmy D Lane-Legacy & Long Gone-The son of Jimmy Rogers, the first disc is Chicago-style blues, the second Hendrix-style blues.

James,

I don't have alot of Tommy Castro, but I do have his DVD and it is worth picking up. The beef I have is that it is kinda short(around 1 hour). The Luther Allison DVD is great and is two and a half hours.

MikeAW

Second Unit
I've been savoring that 7CD Charley Patton box set on the Revenant label for quite some time now...really some amazing stuff there.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Thanks for the great recommendations friends. I'll look into each and every one.
Also, my all-time favorite SACD is Keb Mo' The Door. I saw him last year at the Stereophile HiFi show and he was awesome. At the show, Chad Kassem and his blues artists were in the audience and afterward were telling me how blown away they were with the great music.
Lee
:)

KrisM

Second Unit
Mike,
What did you pay for the Patton set? I've haven't been able to find it up here in Canada, but I have a feeling it will be pricey.
Lee,
I saw Keb Mo recently as well and it was a fantastic show. The opening act was Roy Rogers with Van Morrison's daughter, I think her name was Shawna. If you don't already have it, I think you would enjoy the Keb Mo DVD.
Another disc I forgot to mention was the MoFi version of Muddy Waters Folk Singer. It is out of print now but it is one of the best sounding discs in my collection. And Willie Dixon and Buddy Guy are part of his backing band as well.:)
Regards
KrisM

MikeAW

Second Unit
Kris, I got a promo box set, so it's not fair to compare prices. I'm sure there is a good online source like Amazon.com or BestBuy.com...that you could try. Sorry.

KrisM

Second Unit
Thanks for the reply Mike. On-line sources are not usually worth it for Canadians. With the cost of shipping, duty, brokerage fees, and the perpetually sinking Canadian dollar it is almost always more expensive. I might have to get somebody local to order it in.

KrisM

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Buddy is great. I saw him live twice, both in New York. The first time he had Johny Lang and some woman opening. At one point, they all jammed together. The second time, Jimmy Vaughan opened. Buddy rocked the house down, including a soloing while walking through the audience.

I own a compilation and a live CD. I used to be really into the blues, but my passion for it died down a bit. Buddy, though, is easily one of my favorite players.

KrisM

Second Unit
I saw Susan Tedeschi when Double Trouble was her backing band a few years ago. It was a great show. The one strange thing about it was the MC announced Tedeschi in a typical loud,exciting voice and then in a really quite voice said "with Double Trouble". One of the greatest blues rhythm sections around and it was as if he didn't care. That show really made me wish I had seen Stevie Ray Vaughan before he died.

Regards

KrisM

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks