What's new

Blue Planet....anyone else watch it? (1 Viewer)

Dave_P

Stunt Coordinator
I caught a good amount of this wonderful documentary last night on The Discovery Channel. I thought that it was very good. The underwater photography in the Arctic was incredible. They had Killer Whales attacking a baby Gray Whale. They had a Polar Bear mother and her cub hunting for food. The showed some Emporer Penguins shooting out of the water and onto the ice from below and above. Humpback Whales feeding on their food by the ton.

Some of the best shots were those of another Penguin species trying to get onto the land and glaciers during their travel. The ocean would surge up, and they would have to launch themselves out of the water and try to grip the land or glacier with their feet. It looked like an exhausting task. Anyone else find this as entertaining as I did?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I am watching it, I taped the 2nd one cause I was tired but I'll catch up on that before the 3rd and 4th ones tonight (monday). I think the cinematography is excellent. I was really saddened when the grey whale calf was killed but that's just nature. I liked their little blurb of how they got the blue whale shots and using that ultralight to get shots of the migrating whale. That whole blurb with the sardines and all the different species feeding on them was also amazing, imagine a pack of 1000 hamerhead sharks and dolphins and stuff all working together to feed on the tiny sardines...

Jay

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Let me ask a stupid question- This isn't the same as the Blue Planet IMAX DVD is it? I haven't caught it yet... What are the showtimes?

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Nope, I don't think so since it's a UK production and is also available as a DVD for the first 4 episodes.. I believe it's being rebroadcasted Feb 1st if you missed Episodes 3 and 4 last night (1/28). check out www.discovery.com for more info..
There's 4 more episodes coming up sometime later (April/May??)
Great show and looks like a great disc to show to friends!
Jay

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
You only got the first four episodes in the US on DVD? My 3-disc UK set is rather lovely - all eight episodes in widescreen along with a bunch of behind-the-scenes and other stuff. Its really nice, and looks to die for.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Link Removed
These are the 4 1-hour shows they broadcasted on Sunday and Monday here in the US, Ocean World,Frozen Seas, Open Ocean, and The Deep
They have 4 more coming later and I believe the 2-DVD set contains just the 4 episodes they broadcast already plus the usual extras and stuff. Then when they air the other 4, they'll issue another box set...
Excellent series, I would imagine it would make an awesome demo disc. I was thinking alot of the shots in Open Ocean would make great computer wallpaper, especially the shots of the Manta Rays all converging on the plankton. In fact, I was looking at discovery's website for them but didn't see any. I'll have to stick to National Geographic wallpaper I guess! :)
Jay

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I'd like to endorse the remarks about the Brit DVD set, which is superb. The picture quality is excellent, and genuinely interesting programmes (and I normally hate nature series). The series is from the BBC, and aired in the UK last year. And no, it's not connected in any way with the IMAX DVD.

BTW, I didn't like the baby whale calf being eaten in the first episode, but my 6 year-old daughter loved it.

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
I watched the Monday night shows which I think was a repeat of the Sunday night premiere. I thought it was excellent all around. The BBC is just head and shoulders above the rest when it comes to documentaries and such.

Mark_R

Agent
FYI

Four DVDs (8 episodes) are available for preorder on DVDEmpire and they are cheaper than discovery.com. DVDEmpire has the release date as 5/7 for the last 2, I forgot when they said they would have the first 2.

Bill McCamy

Second Unit
Real Name
Gasim de Paris
The second four episodes have been shown this month. The final showing is this Saturday morning (May 18th).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks