What's new

Blu-ray Glitch List - Titles you might want to avoid. (1 Viewer)

Viper

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Fisk
Is the HD-DVD of the Fugitive screwed up too? I'd almost buy that just to eliminate another snapcase from my collection. Personally, I'd rather have U.S. Marshals in hi def.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Some bad copies of The Chronicles of Riddick stop about 11 or 14 minutes into the Director's Cut, just after Riddick says "cute kid". No known reason for the error -- some discs are bum, some are fine, even if they have the same serial numbers on the inner ring. Not a firmware problem since getting a replacement disc will play through it fine (unless you get a disc that has the same problem, in which case, third time back to the store for you). Forum-folk say that a Mexican pressing plant known for weird problems is to blame.
Less serious, in that there's no good disc to hope to find, are reports that the center channel audio on Pitch Black is screwed up, dropping to inaudible levels sometimes.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Pete T C said:
* Subtitle translation is incorrect.
! Magnolia does not consider this an issue and is not issuing replacements; instead, they will release a new version in the future with correct subtitles for purchase. Return your disc if you are dissatisfied with the incorrect subtitle translation.
Icons of Fright News and Updates: Let The Wrong Subtitles In To LET THE RIGHT ONE IN?!
They've *got* to be kidding me. Way to snatch defeat out of the jaws of victory...
Why do I think that any number of US distributors employ people who hate film?

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
I think Raging Bull can be added. Some copies (or all copies, but not everyone notices it) have a small band at the right side of the screen that's about 10% lighter than the rest of the image on the screen. It's on the menus and supplements as well.

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
I have watched both YouTube videos showing the differences between the two versions of Starship Troopers that are out there and I can't for the life of me figure out what's different. I can tell something isn't quite the same but I'm not sure what and I've watched both videos several times now. I ordered my copy from Amazon.com about a month or so ago so should I even be worried?

My copy also wouldn't play in my Panasonic DMP-BD35 at first either. I kept seeing a loading screen and then the disc would stop. After poking around the internet a bit I discovered that this disc won't work right in this player unless an SD memory card is installed. I bought a 2GB card and put it in the SD card slot on my player and now the disc works fine.

ATimson

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Timson
This review gives details of the changes. As I've found out, time doesn't necessarily matter; for example, my copy of the Pirates trilogy boxset had a flawed Black Pearl, despite believe that those discs would be out of hte supply chain by then.

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Looks like the right surround channels disappears from about the 1 hour 32 minute mark in Universal's Inside Man disc, and stays missing for the last 40 odd minutes.

Adam

Matt Stieg

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone else had any problems with The Searchers being way out of sync? On my copy, the audio lags way behind the video, you can see actors mouthing the first few words of their lines and then you hear them later. I've searched around and have only come across one or two mentions of it, but everyone else seems to say their blu-ray is fine.

Edward Schatz

Second Unit
Matt Stieg said:
being way out of sync? On my copy, the audio lags way behind the video, you can see actors mouthing the first few words of their lines and then you hear them later. I've searched around and have only come across one or two mentions of it, but everyone else seems to say their blu-ray is fine.
This sounds like a lip sync issue with your receiver and TV. What is your setup?

Matt Stieg

Stunt Coordinator
Just a simple HDMI connection from my Pioneer 51FD to my LG LCD and it's the only blu-ray that I've had any real noticeable problems. All my other blu-rays and DVD's play fine.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Matt Stieg said:
being way out of sync? On my copy, the audio lags way behind the video, you can see actors mouthing the first few words of their lines and then you hear them later. I've searched around and have only come across one or two mentions of it, but everyone else seems to say their blu-ray is fine.
Actually I googled it and found it mentioned in several places including amazon. They are selling it for $7.99 there now and I was about to pull the trigger and saw that mentioned.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Pete T C said:
The AVC version has numbers on the top label, while the MPEG2 does not.
I just ordered the australian version of The Descent which by many accounts is superior and much more accurate brightness and color timing wise than either US edition...

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
my Searcher copy is perfectly synced =).
PS i just 'stumbled' onto this thread. THANK YOU OP for putting this up!!! it's invaluable. now i have to go home and verify these titles that i own one by one, lulz >P. i'm one of those collectors that collects, checks to see if the discs play and then archive it.

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
Right now I'm going to return T2 Skynet edition. I can't believe the problems i'm having playing this disc on my Sony. I can't even get past the damn Studio Canel advert. I've tried every version of the movie & it gets stuck just after Studio Canel logo.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks