What's new

Blown Tweeter (1 Viewer)

Eric Portelance

Auditioning
The tweeters on one of my Mirage FRx-Nine fronts blew last week. I got it fixed and all but am a little puzzled as to why it blew. The amp I use is a Marantz SR5000 which is only 70 watts per channel, and I believe the speakers should be able to take up to 200 each. Also, I don't go near the max volume on my amp in any circumstances. Any thoughts or ideas as to what could have caused this would be helpful. I just hope that the other one won't blow in the future (or the same one again). Before these we owned a really old pair of SoundDynamics (for about 15 years) and never blew a tweeter or anything.

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
Tweeters blow with too little power. When the amp runs out of power it starts clipping, which sends horrible distortion to the speaker ripping apart the tweeter.

Eric Portelance

Auditioning
Too little power?!?!? That's interesting... What would the solution be for this, if anything? Could it have been caused by a brownout or something?

Eric Portelance

Auditioning
Makes me think a little. We had a few periods of spiking/brownouts a little while ago because of some snowstorms we had here. Would a solution be a better surge protector or what?

Is it possibly an issue with the amp? It's a pretty good amp...just wondering if a higher end one would have protected better against something like this.

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
The solution is to turn down the volume so the amp doesn't clip. Or another solution would be to buy a more powerful amp. If you want to blast away, I'd get the more powerful amp.

Eric Portelance

Auditioning
It was actually my parents who were watching a movie. My dad is the one who noticed that the tweeter was blown (although it was the next day). They were watching Bourne Supremacy pretty loud, but not any louder than we usually watch action-type movies. Maybe about 70/100 on the volume dial. But the amp seems to have larger incriments as you go up. Meaning that the difference between say 79 and 80 is much larger than 59 and 60 (or sounds like it).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks