Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Matt Hough

Blow-Up Blu-ray Review
blowuptop1-1024x576.jpg

Director Michelangelo Antonioni takes a rather jaundiced look at the London swinging singles scene of the 1960s in Blow-Up, the director's tenth film and a great international success critically and at the box-office, his first full length feature in the English language.

[review]

Last edited:

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I'm probably one of the very few who likes Brian DePalma's Blow Out, which in some ways is an homage, better. Blow-Up is a fascinating movie in places, but right now I don't really have a desire to own it.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I gave the film a 4/5 and the package a 4.5/5. Did you read the inside of the review?

As always, a well written and perceptive review. I think Matt H. has been very fair and generous.

As for myself, I'd probably rate the movie a "B" in my letter grade way of rating. There are a lot of other movies from the 1960s that I like a lot better. But, I admit, I haven't seen it in probably 25 years.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I've only seen Blow-Up a few times, but I enjoyed the viewings and I'll probably pick up the Blu-Ray. The film's cinematography and production design should both get a noticeable boost in presentation over the older DVD release. I can't say which I prefer, but I also enjoy DePalma's version of this story - Blow-Out.

(When I saw the thread, the first thing that popped into my mind was an HTF member who hasn't been around in these parts in years. George Kaplan (which I've always assumed was a user name homage to Hitchcock's North by Northwest). But, I digress. If I recall correctly Kaplan had a lot of disdain for Blow-Up and considered it pretentious. One of many films, we disagreed upon.)

- Walter.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Not at all. I was trying to ascertain what Antonioni's tastes, attitudes, and opinions were, difficult if not impossible. This is another film like Nashville and a few others that have only gained more in my respect for them over the years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks