What's new

Blondie: The Popular, But Still Unreleased 1938-1950 Columbia Comedy Feature Series! (3 Viewers)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I think that is just a misprint , Doesn't anyone have the echo bridge dvds ? There 10 episodes and list the correct runtime 726 minutes , The Platinum discs (that may be clones) were wrong as well listing only 144 minuets for the 10 movies .

The aussie label is a pirate label so I won't be buying that one . Sorry to post it . Not sure how to delete postings here .
I'd suggest asking a MOD to take care of that, as they're the only ones who can override the 24 hour edit post limit.

CHEERS! :)

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
There are 12 of the Blondie films currently available for Amazon Prime customers. It looks as if all of the films from 1938 through the early '40s are there except for "Blondie's Blessed Event" and "Blondie for Victory". They are the King Features versions with around 3 minutes of scenes before the re-done opening credits.
I think Bob Furmanek had restored the films original titles way back when --- the Platinum discs are horrible because of the "bug" that appears every 10 minutes! I can tell you two companies are trying to get the films but the studio involved (not columbia) are dragging their feet which boggles the find because they rather sit on these films showing more interest in the 100th version of T 2 etc. And they are two very GREAT video firms that can make these releases really fun. Also still waiting on the restored Flash Gordon on Blu Ray deal - this has been going on since 7/2021

Last edited:

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
This isn't for me because I have my own collection, but for those who are interested, Ones Media has the complete Blondie movie collection, the 28 movies are on 14 DVD's. It's currently available on Amazon and the price is $39.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Beware of anything LA Entertainment issues! I purchased their edition of Universal's I'D RATHER BE RICH with Sandra Dee, Robert Goulet and Andy Williams.
It was a VHS copy from a TV airing in Australia complete with a logo bug throughout the entire film. Commercial spots were edited out and the film was full screen as well.
Awful!
Almost bought that release. Glad i didn't!

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
This isn't for me because I have my own collection, but for those who are interested, Ones Media has the complete Blondie movie collection, the 28 movies are on 14 DVD's. It's currently available on Amazon and the price is $39.
Brazen bootleggers --- even selling them on Blu Ray --- reported them to the studio sadly this will not stop until the films are put out legit and studio lawyers have Amazon take them down.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Understand what you are saying, but unless/until the films get a legit release, alternate options are the only choice.
I sent the info to the studio, so many being hurt by this stuff - here in NY WPIX TV own March Of The Wooden Soldiers and we have been trying to get their lawyers to take the film off o youtube also places like grapevine selling it and Legend too the film is under copyright - I never heard back from Steve Reeves.com so I wonder if the films they sell are legit. Very sad - I have been changing my habits too avoiding any illegal sites that show films on the net Mr. Harris tipped me off that I was actually looking at a Russian site

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I sent the info to the studio, so many being hurt by this stuff - here in NY WPIX TV own March Of The Wooden Soldiers and we have been trying to get their lawyers to take the film off o youtube also places like grapevine selling it and Legend too the film is under copyright - I never heard back from Steve Reeves.com so I wonder if the films they sell are legit. Very sad - I have been changing my habits too avoiding any illegal sites that show films on the net Mr. Harris tipped me off that I was actually looking at a Russian site
Also a good general tip if on a questionable website is to watch for basic misspelling, missing or unnecessary prepositions, and/or inappropriately plural words within the descriptions.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Brazen bootleggers --- even selling them on Blu Ray --- reported them to the studio sadly this will not stop until the films are put out legit and studio lawyers have Amazon take them down.
Understand what you are saying, but unless/until the films get a legit release, alternate options are the only choice.
That this thread has been up for over 7 years and STILL nothing legitimate on the horizon regarding The Blondie series is most disheartening! :(

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
That this thread has been up for over 7 years and STILL nothing legitimate on the horizon regarding The Blondie series is most disheartening! :(
We here at the forum thanks to Mr E. and his wonderful team get to see great video firms KINO, WAC, Paramount, VCI, ClassicFlix, SHOUT, Via Vision, Bob Furmanek all that clearly understand that classics can be profitable and in demand then we see firms that must give us version number 260 of titles like T2 for instance meanwhile their vast deep catalog titles remain in limbo. Two firms have interest in these and the studio just keeps on dragging their feet the result? Bootlegs making money. I can tell u another firm has been giving proposals on the Henry Aldrich titles which Universal spent 2 million to restore and Universal still drags their feet. Heartbreaking. Last week I heard from the studio that they would be in touch with one of the companies and still nothing.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
We here at the forum thanks to Mr E. and his wonderful team get to see great video firms KINO, WAC, Paramount, VCI, ClassicFlix, SHOUT, Via Vision, Bob Furmanek all that clearly understand that classics can be profitable and in demand then we see firms that must give us version number 260 of titles like T2 for instance meanwhile their vast deep catalog titles remain in limbo. Two firms have interest in these and the studio just keeps on dragging their feet the result? Bootlegs making money. I can tell u another firm has been giving proposals on the Henry Aldrich titles which Universal spent 2 million to restore and Universal still drags their feet. Heartbreaking. Last week I heard from the studio that they would be in touch with one of the companies and still nothing.
The Henry Aldrich series restoration scenario is especially mystifying! Why shell out millions for their restoration only to just sit on them? Did Universal run into some unforeseen home video release rights issue snafu with one or more titles in the series, perhaps?

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
The Henry Aldrich series restoration scenario is especially mystifying! Why shell out millions for their restoration only to just sit on them? Did Universal run into some unforeseen home video release rights issue snafu with one or more titles in the series, perhaps?
No I was told an offer was made but new management was now and wanted a better offer

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
I'm just speculating, but there might be music rights issues with "Henry Aldrich Swings It" because there are songs performed in that series entry. Come to think of it, "Henry Aldrich For President" has some music in it also.

I have the nine Henry Aldrich movies with Jimmy Lydon, most of them I recorded from a TV station in Chicago, don't recall the year exactly, I think it was around 1988 or so. Of course, an official DVD release of the movies in restored condition would certainly be welcome.

As far as I know, Jimmy Lydon is alive and well at age 98 and that is awesome indeed. :)

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I'm just speculating, but there might be music rights issues with "Henry Aldrich Swings It" because there are songs performed in that series entry. Come to think of it, "Henry Aldrich For President" has some music in it also.

I have the nine Henry Aldrich movies with Jimmy Lydon, most of them I recorded from a TV station in Chicago, don't recall the year exactly, I think it was around 1988 or so. Of course, an official DVD release of the movies in restored condition would certainly be welcome.

As far as I know, Jimmy Lydon is alive and well at age 98 and that is awesome indeed. :)
As per Jimmy Lydon's Wikipedia entry, YES!! :)

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
As per Jimmy Lydon's Wikipedia entry, YES!! :)

I like Jimmy Lydon in those Henry Aldrich movies, he and his pal Dizzy, played by actor Charles Smith, had good chemistry and worked well together.

My favorite movie in the series is the second entry, "Henry And Dizzy". To me, that one is overall the funniest, and Carl "Alfalfa" Switzer is also in this movie, playing the role of a bratty kid. :laugh:

The series is very good through the fourth entry, "Henry Aldrich Gets Glamour". After that, the quality of the writing isn't quite the same but the films remain entertaining.

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
And in the meantime pirates are making tons of money with there junk quality and the owners of these films don't even seem to care . IDK , It would make sense that the only way you can stop the bootlegs is to release it yourself . Once people know what to buy the decision is easy .

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo

Do not think that is the issue, they really do not care about these films selling - heck they are not even on TCM. Universal seems only interested in their horror legacy everything else THANKFULLYT KINO is interested in!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Sad to report that Jimmy Lydon's Wikipedia page has been updated to say that he passed away on March 9th, 2022.
Don't know how I missed that! Just last night, I discovered that Sue Thompson, who was famous for her 1962 hit "Norman" and also scored big with "Sad Movies (Make Me Cry)" the previous year, died last September at the age of 96, at her daughter's home in Pahrumpa, Nevada! :(

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks