What's new

Blondie: The Popular, But Still Unreleased 1938-1950 Columbia Comedy Feature Series! (1 Viewer)

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
I have the 2003 DVD edition from Platinum (which I guess became Echo Bridge), the box carries a Hearst Entertainment copyright. Hearst owns King Features. So technically it is not a public domain release. I was always puzzled that they did not release all 28 movies, then, or now.Bridgestone Multimedia/Virgil Films released all 28 on VHS in the '90s. I assume they also used the TV syndication openings, and were also a legit release approved by Hearst. I remember seeing them in the Critic's Choice and Movies Unlimited catalogs. Some of them are still available at Amazon.

And while were at it, what is the status of the TV Blondie incarnations? Arthur Lake and Pamela Britton in the '50s and Will Hutchins and Patricia Harty, with Jim Backus as Mr. Dithers, in the '60s. There were some animated versions also, were there not?

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
This set:

http://www.amazon.com/Blondie-Vols-1-Penny-Singleton/dp/B0001JXP2A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416859886&sr=8-1&keywords=blondie+dvd

51q+XnMIcLL.jpg

is the one I have and they're very very watchable. They are the TV prints we grew up with (with the new credits and the extra footage in the beginning to pad them to 75 minutes) but they are in great shape from what I remember and, if memory serves, the picture quality was more than adequate for bargain DVD's.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Bob Gu said:
... Will Hutchins and Patricia Harty, with Jim Backus as Mr. Dithers, in the '60s....
Supposedly those have been lost/destroyed. Bruce Lee appears in one episode and they have been searching for a print of his episode for decades! It's his only U.S. TV appearance that hasn't surfaced.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Will Krupp said:
This set:

http://www.amazon.com/Blondie-Vols-1-Penny-Singleton/dp/B0001JXP2A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416859886&sr=8-1&keywords=blondie+dvd

post-307228-0-62647800-1416860076.jpg

is the one I have and they're very very watchable. They are the TV prints we grew up with (with the new credits and the extra footage in the beginning to pad
them to 75 minutes) but they are in great shape from what I remember and, if memory serves, the picture quality was more than adequate for bargain DVD's.
Hi Will!

While it's nice to know that this set is legitimate (That wasn't my original assumption regarding this set!), I can't help but think that the BLONDIE series deserves a lot better than cut off endings, and the inevitable artifacting that has to occur with well over 5 hours of content on each single DVD, even assuming that these discs are dual layered! Three features totaling less than 4 hours ought to be the absolute maximum for each disc!

CHEERS! :)

Tony

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Will Krupp said:
This set:

attachicon.gif
51q+XnMIcLL.jpg

is the one I have and they're very very watchable. They are the TV prints we grew up with (with the new credits and the extra footage in the beginning to pad them to 75 minutes) but they are in great shape from what I remember and, if memory serves, the picture quality was more than adequate for bargain DVD's.
Thanks for answering my question, Will! I'm going to pick it up just to sample these again after so many years. It's worth the minimum investment until something better comes along.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Professor Echo said:
Thanks for answering my question, Will! I'm going to pick it up just to sample these again after so many years. It's worth the minimum investment until something better comes along.
For that price you CAN'T say no!!! ;)

plus, they seem to be much easier to come by then they were when I picked them up about 8 years ago (I THINK Platinum owned the set then) I seem to remember having to go through hoops to find them!

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Okay I popped this set in tonight to re-check the quality. There are A LOT more compression artifacts than I remember from cramming so much on each disc and the transfers are on the soft side but the prints themselves are clean and of decent to good quality. They are, of course, interlaced 60fps transfers but I wouldn't have expected anything else seeing as I'm sure these are old TV masters. Still very watchable (especially for the price) and such great movies that this will suffice until something better comes along.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Will Krupp said:
This set:

attachicon.gif
51q+XnMIcLL.jpg

Got this one too. I always wished they had released the other titles.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Me too, Allen, though my favorites are all in this set. I would have liked to complete the run of the "first" series (1938-1943) as I don't much enjoy the "second" series (1945-1950)

Going from memory, I THINK the only titles missing from the first series are the last four:
BLONDIE'S BLESSED EVENT (1942)
BLONDIE FOR VICTORY (1942)
IT'S A GREAT LIFE (1943)
FOOTLIGHT GLAMOUR (1943)

oh well, maybe some day!

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
I'd buy these movies. I remember watching these on Sunday afternoons as a kid and enjoying them. I don't think I saw all of them and can't remember which ones I did see.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Tony Bensley said:
Hi Boris!

So, if I've counted these correctly, you have 27 out of the 28 BLONDIE Films?

Tony
Hi Tony

I did have all 28 films . But I recorded them off AMC back in the VHS days . When I dubbed them over to dvd-r one tape was not playing well so I never dubbed it over . I still have the tape somewhere , I might try to get it to play again.

On the Blondie films shown on AMC , after the Columbia logo at the end of the credits a Hearst logo pops up at the end .

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Since it appears that King Features Syndicate does (Assuming that hasn't changed since the mid 1990's!) have the necessary film elements for the entire BLONDIE series, perhaps they could partner up with Warner, as they did for the Popeye cartoons?

I should think that a Warner Archive release could be doable! All 28 Features could be issued in 3 separate volumes of 8 to 10 Titles each on 3 or 4 dual layered DVD's for each volume. For the inevitable set that contains fewer Titles, Trailers for some or all of the Films, and a few select BLONDIE Radio Programs could also make for nice Bonus Features!

mark brown

Supporting Actor
Is this the set that came in a lunch pail several years back? I recall they weren't that bad and watchable.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
And it even includes a knockoff Public Domain DVD of Shirley Temple's THE LITTLE PRINCESS! Good Grief!!

Did I say that the BLONDIE series deserves MUCH better?!!? I mean, the Lunch Box looks nice and everything, but in my opinion, it's what's inside that counts!

P.S. Regarding Shirley's THE LITTLE PRINCESS, this is what I recommend for a more ideal viewing experience:
http://www.amazon.com/Little-Princess-Shirley-Temple/dp/B000LC4ZEO/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1416951793&sr=1-1&keywords=the+little+princess+shirley+temple&pebp=1416951808499

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Will Krupp said:
This set:

That's the same set I own and agree about the quality. While I'd love to have them in original form this will do for now. BUT should the series get a *proper* release I'd jump in line to get a copy! :)

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Has Sony/Columbia ever came out with a statement regarding this series? It makes no sense to me for them to not at least consider restoring/remastering this set and putting it out.

I would think that the success of the Bowery Boys would show them the viability of this.

-Rodney

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Rodney said:
Has Sony/Columbia ever came out with a statement regarding this series? It makes no sense to me for them to not at least consider restoring/remastering this set and putting it out.
I would think that the success of the Bowery Boys would show them the viability of this.

-Rodney
Sony/Columbia do not control these titles anymore. They belong to King Features/Hearst Publishing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks