What's new

Blockbuster in trouble again! (1 Viewer)

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
This was in my local business section today and I found it troubling yet funny at the same time: (I apologize for the length, there is no local web link)

When will they quit trying to screw over the public?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
When will the public finally read the terms of the agreements they buy into and stop blaming everybody but themselves for getting screwed?

JayDerek

Stunt Coordinator
I cosign with the above posters.

I also think people that rent videos need to take some personal responsibility for getting them back ontime. Instead of calling it a crime against humanity to be charged a late fee, why don't people only rent a video the night they intend to watch it and freakin' drop it off the next day? The concept really isn't that difficult

~Jason

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor
It really turns my crank to read articles about people who get late fees charged to their account and then blame Blockbuster for returning the movies late. Every movie and game and i rent from them clearly states on the receipt when the movie is due back in there store and even the cashier explains when the movies are due back. It really isn't hard to understand.

Paul

RichardK

Second Unit
Although you guys are correct about there being cases of people being ignorant. I read that some Blockbuster stores were found that even if they were not participating in the program to use the "No Late Fees" signs on the door and also on in store propoganda. This is the key reason why folks both innocent and ignorant are getting paid back those charges.

-R

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Woops! I should have mentioned what Richard said in my original post. (That was in a different paper than the one I posted from.) I agree there are a lot of J6Ps out there who don't read contract terms and many who are too lazy to return a movie within a seven day window, yet Blockbuster dropped the ball by advertising the program in stores which did not participate in the program.

I personally left Blockbuster and their horrible business practices and SNAFUs like this almost 10 years ago. I do all my renting from Hastings, who not only charges considerably less in late fees and has a HUGE selection of titles but also gives you $1 credit if the movie is returned the next day. (New releases only.) Every once in a while I'll go into my local Blockbuster to see what they're up to and the last time I went in they still supported their crazy stance on P&S only releases and no unrated films. Thay nationally say they don't do that anymore but many stores still do.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

it took me and my friend exactly two minutes (i'm not exaggerating here) to read the fine print and see that you're charged the entire amount if you don't return it within whatever time-frame it was.

two minutes folks. two freakin' minutes.

what is this country coming to? :rolleyes

edit - just caught the part about non-participating stores....that's a little more reasonable. :b

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
The only time I've ever rented anything from Blockbuster was before DVD's hit the market and VCR's still cost close to $1K....it's been a while ;)

Mort

BobV

Second Unit
Ok... on one hand I agree with the 'no one reads the fine print', but on the other hand I say, screw the fine print. Mean what you frigging say or don't say it. Don't tell me that there are 'No Late Fees' and then force me to read your fine print to find out that you are lieing and that there really are late fees. Society is giving these big companies wayyyyy too much leeway which is why we have so much stinkin' legalese these days. You can say anything you want, as long as you deny it in the fineprint.

Pffft :thumbsdown:

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
So you think Blockbuster should just charge a one time rental and let you keep the movie? If there are no late fees, there are no late fees. That doesn't mean you won't pay for the product if you fail to return it.

The reason for so much legalese is because PEOPLE ARE STUPID. I'm sure companies would love to get rid of all the warnings and fine print, but they can't.

RichardK

Second Unit
Good point BobV...but, in this case the part about being charged after 30days and the restocking fees etc isn't exactly 'fine print'. The issue is that it contradicts the 'No Late Fees' meaning..at least on the surface. Obviously a Rental is not a Purchase, in this case some people will take no late fees to mean they dont have return it because they aren't being charged. Blockbuster says to that person, not gonna happen smart guy if you want to keep the movie forever, you're gonna buy it...but guess what else you can return that movie for a refund, less a restocking fee. All of the above is not fine print. Ted Lee is surely a bright and conscientious person, but by no means is he the only one capable of understanding the Blockbuster rules.
On top of all that, Blockbuster calls me and leaves me polite reminder messages at home to return my movies, not because they are late, but because some poor schmo who has the BB all you can rent pass has no movies to rent because they are all checked out to the folks who use the no late fee rule now to the fullest, like me.

BobV

Second Unit
"So you think Blockbuster should just charge a one time rental and let you keep the movie?"

No, I think they shouldn't advertize 'No late fees', because it's obviously not true. It's a marketing gimmick and it's time we called thes corporations on their gimmics. Of course there's going to be some kind of late charge or I've just 'bought' the movie for $3.99. So instead of saying 'No Late Fees', which is unrealistic, say 'Keep our Movies for a Month!' or a week, or whatever. Stop OVERSELLING your gimmick. Be real and be honest. Is that too much to ask for?

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor

Yea your right, i'm tired of drinking Miller Lite and not having the washboard abs like those guys in the bars hitting on the hot chicks!

Why can't i get that great 4.25% interest rate from Di-Tech, oh yea my credit score is not 800!

Where do I sign up to make my voice heard!

Please....

Paul

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
plus there are people who just want to get one over on you.

i had someone call the other day to ask about the late fee policy.
i explained it very carefully and detailed.
but after i was done she said, " yea but when is the movie really do back?"

i explained 3 times that it is still due when it is origionally due but you now have a grace period.

she kept saying that a 2 day rental is really a 9 day rental.
i told her that she could look at it that way if she wants but the longer you keep the movie the harder it is for other people to rent it.

she even called back later on to check again to see if she could keep the movie for 15 days.
she even had a sarcastic tone in her voice when finally she decided that a weekly rental was reallly a 2 weak rental.

more power to her i guess.
nothing wrong with using the policy for an extra day or 2 but some people just go over board.

Jeff D Han

Supporting Actor
Hey Tony-

It's unfortunate that your tongue is tied, or else
you should have said to her "What part of DUE BACK
IN 7 DAYS don't you understand?". Obvioulsy, she doesn't.

I could never understand why people just don't return
the movies in the assigned time, but Blockbuster wasn't
really honest in their advertisements of "no late fees".
Well somebody was due to say this in a Blockbuster thread-
NETFLIX!!!! End of problem with late fees and misleading
commercials.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
I worked in a couple of video stores for a few years (seven, actually) and people ARE stupid!!! I have thousands of stories about people, enough to put CLERKS to shame, and it's the main reason I quit the business: the sheer stupidity of people. I am not surprised by this Blockbuster thing at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks