What's new

Blockbuster has actually outdone themselves! (1 Viewer)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
From the people who taught us that Friday to Saturday is two days comes another wonderful bit of logic.

I have been in their "Rewards" program for the last few months. Actually, it is the only way I will rent from them. Part of the deal is that each month you get a 2 for 1 coupon good on ANY MOVIE. In other words, with the coupon you can rent a new release and get another new release for free. So this month's flyer arrives today with the headline, "We've expanded your membership in Blockbuster Rewards to include non-new release DVD." Meaning you can no longer get a free new release with the coupon.

They certainly are entitled to eliminate the free new release from the coupon, what amazes me is that they actually have the stones to say they are "expanding" the program. They have "expanded" the program to include half as many movies as before.

I don't believe Blockbuster is the scourge many others here think they are, but they are trying mighty hard to change my mind.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I too rent alot of DVD's from them and am a Gold Rewrds member. They are constantly tinkering with the rent on get one free, Sun thru Thurs deal. One time I rented a 2 nighter off the "NEW" release wall and choose as a 2nd one a 5 nighter also from the "NEW" release wall. They would not allow the discount and said it was because it was on the "NEW" release wall. Well I have succesffuly used the discount this way many times before and many times since. I am certain that this was just a problem in the way the 2nd movie I wanted was in the computer, but they're such idiots. And I can't believe some of the shit they still have on the "NEW" release wall, "15 Minutes" is just one example. Been out for months. There are many more, although I can't think of them unless I'm standing there looking, but you know what I mean. I also notice they are very inconsistent with how long before something drops from a 2 nighter to a 5 nighter. Some movies it only takes a couple weeks, others it takes a few months.

Gary Mannheimer

Auditioning
Apparently, their new policy is that only a 5 night rental that is not on the New Release wall can be taken as a free rental. Yes, there are some movies on the New Release wall that have been out for months. Of course, now, I can see movies staying there even longer.

I wish I had a viable alternative to Blockbuster, but no one else in my area has a decent selection.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
John
Are you sure you have been able to get a 5 day new release free lately? I was told they had created a new rental code for 5 day new release DVDs a while back, which is why they moved a bunch of older DVDs back to the new release wall, and that is why you can't get 5 day new releases free any more.
I'm amazed by what is still a new release. The original Almost Famous is still there, even though they don't have the extended version. Didn't that come out about a year ago?

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
JohnRice,

Absofrigginlutely. Just the Thursday before I had the one episode of it not being allowed, I had done this, a 2 nighter and a 5 nighter from the wall. Then the Thursday in question I tried to rent JPIII (2 nighter) and Swordfish (5 nighter) and they wouldn't allow it. Since then, on the following 2 Thursdays I did this with 2 other pairs of movies, and it was accepted.

What's really wierd, is just before they started claiming they made this changes, I'd say for 1 or 2 months prior, I had noticed that movies were moving from 2 nighters to 5 nighters very fast. Now they are taking longer than ever. One that is still a 2 nighter and has been out awhile is MADE, just as an example. This Thursday I will write down some of the most egregious discrepancies I've noted and post them here.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
A couple strange ones at Blockbuster. Both of these titles I found on the DVD "New Release" wall, as 5 nighters. "O Brother Where Art Thou" and "Vertical Limit". I know "O Brother" has been out a long time and I know for a fact that "Vertical Limit" came out before mid-June last year, as I watched that when family was visiting.

What the hell do they have to do to not be a "New Release", be from the last century?

Jason Wolters

Stunt Coordinator
I just signed up for this today. For the most part it is a joke. The only way you will gain is if you religously rent 5+ DVD's for 3 calendar months out of a given year. It is comical how a company of this size, is screwing around with people on such a small level.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Well I guess I rent enough that I get the Gold Rewards membership for free. So any benefit I get out of it is gravy. But I'm really pissed about their policies on how long they keep something a 2-nighter and how long they consider it a "New Release - 5 nighter". There ought to be a standard. Like the first month, 2-Nighter. The second and third month a 5-nighter "New Release". And after that they should just be regular 5-nighters.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks