What's new

Blew my speaker, Paradigm Studio 40 (1 Viewer)

Charbel

Agent
The left speaker is totally silent. I just hooked up a 220 watt Parasound amp to my Onkyo 787 receiver and after about 10 minutes... nothing. I tested the other speakers and they all work on all channels. it`s just the left Studio 40. Could I have blown the whole speaker? or is there another reason for the silence?
I`ve posted on another page but they said I might have better luck here. Also they said it might be a blown crossover. Is that in the speaker? or the receiver? (stupid question I`m sure)

Charbel

Agent
Can I fix this myself? Is it the same as replacing a blown fuse? or do I have to lug it to my dealer and pay shippingX2 to get it fixed and have that DREADFULLY long wait? Thanks for the help.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
You'll probably void your warranty if you open it up and muck around, and if you can't get the right part identified as being the culprit, it's probably not a good idea for you to go hunting for it. Unless you are comfortable with trouble-shooting this problem, I think you're better off shipping it back to a Paradigm-approved repair shop.
------------------
PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; Link Removed

Charbel

Agent
I bought the speaker back to the dealer. He took a quick look at it and jumped the speakers individually. The bass driver worked, but the tweeter did`nt. He does`nt know why so he`s sending it back to Paradigm for repair. Thanks for the help everyone. CI PS It was only $20 for shipping. not bad I thought is was going to be worse.

Charbel

Agent
"Tweeter filters always have a capacitor (or more depending on the design) in the signal path, so I'm guessing/hoping that is what blew (and not the tweeter itself)".
If it was that, then why did the whole speakers become silent? Would`nt the other drivers still work. The speaker is now at Paradigm but I`m curious to know.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks