What's new

Sapphire III LE.....first impressions from a newbie (1 Viewer)

Craig Amrine

Auditioning
Well, I got my Sapphires on Tuesday and have been "breaking" them in for the past several days. This consisted on reversing the polarity on one of the speakers and having them face eachother, then covering them with enough pillows and blankets to quiet them, then playing about 20 hours or so of Blues Travelers and George Clinton at moderately loud levels. yeah, I realize that they need additional break-in time to really sing, but I finally took a critical listen anyway.

Before I give my impression, I'll give you some background from what I was originally considering: Paradigm Studio 40's or the Polk Lsi9's. I've listened to both in stores, but not back to back. They were nice......but were different from eachother. Polks were a bit more in-your-face....soundstage was wide, but not that deep.

I've been listening to a custom made sattelite/(passive) sub combination from friend built 12 years ago. The satellites were acoustically suspended two-ways with a 5.5 inch (super-pro) woofer and a silk-dome tweater. These babies are dense as hell, very dead cabinets. The sub was a ported tower with 2 12 inch super-blue(?) woofers. That's really all I know about them. Pleae avoid the flames here...I liked 'em....I paid $ 300 for the set-up and they completely blew away some polk 2.5 way bookshelves that I had at the time..can't remember their names.

How they sound compared to these Sapphires? My listening was done with a bunch of acoustic guitar and jazz driven from an old & ratty HK AVR-25 receiver.
Well the Saps aren't so in-your face with the details. They are velvety/smokey smooth. Sorry, can't find a better word to describe them. The details are there, yes...with better resolution than the home-growns, but they are more laid-back. They've got to be driven a bit harder with their lower impedence.

The soundstage is where the most striking differences occur. The Sapps are deep.....meaning their is true depth to the music that I hadn't noticed before...I like that. The homegrowns are brighter, with lots of detail....but thats about it.....Sapps draw you into the music more...kind of get you more involved. I like-em....yes this may be simply buyer's remorse considering I've never spent so much on speakers before, but i doubt it.

Just though I'd share,
-Craig

John Desmond

Stunt Coordinator
Craig, the longer you have them, the more you'll appreciate them. Every ACI model that I've heard sounds better the more you listen. They don't jump at you, but boy do they grow on you. I'd still have my Sapphires if I hadn't moved up to Jaguars.

"velvety/smokey smooth", I like that description. With so many speakers you end up with a headache or wanting to turn it off. Not with these. What finish wood did you get?

Craig Amrine

Auditioning
If you notice on ACI's website, you you'll see that they are discontinuing the Sapphire III LE's due to the stop in production of the particular woofers that they will be using. As a result, they have limited options for finishes. I tried to choose the oak finish due to no additional cost. Unfortunately, they were sold out of that, but offered any other available finish AT NO ADDITIONAL COST. I opted for the Rose Walnut finish, which is listed at an additional $200 option :) They stuck to their word at didn't charge me any extra for them. Kudos to ACI for their very courteous service!!!!!!!
The speakers are dense as hell. The cabinet work is beautiful. And the Rose Walnut finish is breathtaking!
And the sound, like I said, is smooooooth but detailed.

Peter Smith

Auditioning
Yes, Sapphires are what they call "laid back". Many modern speakers are "forward". But the detail and imaging are incredible. These are the only speakers I have that truly disappear.

Listen to them for a couple of months and notice how others speakers sound worse and worse.

Guy Buy!

P

kevitra

Second Unit
They are incredible speakers. I have had mine for two years and love them. I have the 'old' style cabinets (which my wife hates). I wish I had the new ones (much better looking cabinet).

Enjoy them. They are wonderful.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks