Blaxploitation

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Fredrik E, Jan 7, 2002.

1. Fredrik E

Fredrik E Stunt Coordinator

I know about "Shaft" and "Superfly", but I haven't watched these yet (but the soundtracks are just great ! [​IMG])
    My questions are: Which were the other classic "blaxploitation" movies, and which movie was the first and the last in this "blaxploitation" era, if there ever was such an "era" ?

2. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    The "first" has always been open to debate, but most people put Across 110th Street among the first, along with Sweet Sweetback's Baaddaass Song.

Ones I've always enjoyed:

All three Shaft films

Coffy

Foxy Brown

Black Caesar

Truck Turner

Cotton Comes to Harlem

Black Mama White Mama

actually, anything with Pam Grier :b

3. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

Check out Dolemite (1975), The Human Tornado (Dolemite II) (1976), and The Disco Godfather (1979) all star Rudy Ray Moore and all are available on DVD.

4. Ben Motley

Ben Motley Supporting Actor

I was thinking about this just mere moments ago, before walking out the door to come to work. Why the hell don't we have a DTS 5.1 anamorphic SE of Superfly yet, dammit!?! And are "they" ever going to fix the reportedly awful mixes on the Shaft films (no, I didn't even bother to watch them, as they were reportedly so bad). These films, Superfly and at least the first Shaft, have good stories, good action, good camerawork, and the two absolute most killer soundtracks ever, regardless of genre (well, that's what I think anyway [​IMG] ). I want SEs of these two at least, and I want 'em NOW! [​IMG]

5. Ben Motley

Ben Motley Supporting Actor

Also, Peter and Charles, (and anybody else) any insight as to the soundtracks on the films y'all mentioned? Not the merit of the scores, as I'm sure they're all quite nice, but I mean the mix on the dvds. That would be most appreciated, as the funds are limited (aren't they always?).

Thanks!

6. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    Ben:

I saw most of the ones I mentioned theatrically a few years ago at New York's Film Forum. Most of the presentations were pretty decent prints. The sound was, of course, mono. Most of the DVDs that I've seen have pretty good sounding tracks faithful to my memory of the theatrical print. Given the limitations of the original low budget of the films, I think they are fine. (Haven't watched Shaft's Big Score yet, so I can't comment on that one.)

7. Ron Eastman

Ron Eastman Second Unit

While not really a "blaxploitation" film, a good "mock blaxploitation" title is I'm Gonna Get You Sucka. It unabashadly mocks the 70's genre and is one of the funniest movies I've ever seen with an endless supply of quotable lines. On the same line is Hollywood Shuffle directed by and starring Robert Townsend. If you like the genre you will certainly be able to appreciate these.

8. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    Let us not forget Blacula: "You better sit down baby, I got something heavy to lay on you." But I woulld recommend you stay away from the sequel : Scream Blacula Scream

You really can't go wrong with any Pam Grier film from 1979 and before, particularly Coffy and Foxy Brown.

Also big ups for Dolemite and The Human Tornado "You no business, born insecure, junkyard MuthaF*****!"

9. JoeDelan

JoeDelan Stunt Coordinator

Not sure if this would be considered one or not, but it's called Watermelon Man. It's bascially about a Bigoted White man who wakes up on morning and is Black.

It's been about 20 years since I have watched it. It was pretty funny at the time though, that I remember...

i think the movie is from the early 70's, though dont quote me on that.

***Changed the synopsis, wrote it in incorrectly***

10. bill lopez

bill lopez Second Unit

If you watch any Pam Grier 70's movie there's no way you'll ever be gay! 3 THE HARD WAY, & BLACK BELT JONES are good too.

11. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    OK, I'm going to pick one film each by some major stars of the genre to offer a cross section:
    • Richard Roundtree: Shaft
    • Pam Grier: Coffy
    • Fred Williamson: Black Caesar
    • Rudy Ray Moore: Dolemite
    • Ron O'Neal: Superfly
    • Jim Brown: Slaughter's Big Rip-off (sequel is better than predecessor "Slaughter". Beware: some video versions may be without the James Brown score, but I think the DVD is alright)
    • Jim Kelly: Black Belt Jones
    • Tamara Dobson: Cleopatra Jones
    If you can get your hands on a copy of "Three the Hard Way", it features Fred Williamson, Jim Brown, and Jim Kelly in the same film and is directed by Gordon Parks Jr. of "Superfly" fame. It is notoriously hard to find on video, though.
    Regards,

12. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Tom G
    I haven't seen too many of the blaxploitation films but I liked Across 110th Street very much.

You probably have already seen it, but Jackie Brown was done in the spirit of a blaxploitation film. Quentin Tarantino re-wrote the Pam Grier character (whose name in the book Rum Punch, was Jackie Burke) specifically for her.

Definitely watch the Rudy Ray Moore movies. As Charles already said, three are availble on DVD.

13. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

Coffy is very good, the best of the genre as far as I'm concerned. The DVD has an excellent commentary track with alot of information about filmmaking during the era.
    Dolemite is extremely funny. Didn't like Black Caesar though. Thought it was mostly awful except for the killer James Brown soundtrack.
    Another humorous Pam Grier exploitation (though not blaxploitation) flick from the era is The Big Bird Cage

14. Matthew Brown

Matthew Brown Supporting Actor

I also like FOXY BROWN a lot. When was the last time you saw somebody use a blackjack in a movie? I laugh everytime when the bad guy takes it out.

It may not be in the same caliber as the ones mentioned, but ORIGINAL GANGSTAS brings Fred Williamson, Pam Grier, and Jim Brown together for a good movie.

Just think, if ROMEO MUST DIE came out years ago, it would probably be more like the films mentioned here. Imagine who could have starred in it! Bruce Lee, Jim Kelley, Pam Grier.

Does anybody know what Jim Kelley is doing now?

Matt

15. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden

16. Matthew Brown

Matthew Brown Supporting Actor

My dad's name is James. When I was a kid I ran to the TV everytime I heard James Brown or Jim Brown was on! Nobody named Foxy, though. If I have a daughter she'll certainly have a nickname all set for her. Actually, that's if my wife had a daughter. I would be very surprised, and in a lot of pain, if I personally gave birth.

Back to the subject....

The director's commentaries are pretty informative on some of these movies. It gives a good view of the time the movies were made. I watched the one for BLACK CEASER and FOXY BROWN. The director's a little dry but I found what was said interesting.

Matt

17. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

One that has not been mentioned that I recommend is Cotton Comes to Harlem. I'm hoping that the sequel Come Back Charleston Blue comes out on DVD one day.
    I would also like to see Claudine & Up Tight!(a black remake of The Informer directed by Jules Dassin) on DVD one day too.
    And of course I would love to see Superflyon DVD one day. That magnificent soundtrack by Curtis Mayfield makes it, IMO, the greatest blaxploitation film of all.

18. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

I've reviewed a few of these titles for Apollo Movie Guide, and one I really enojoyed was Cornbread, Earl & Me.

19. Duane M Davis

Duane M Davis Stunt Coordinator

Duane Davis
    You can't go wrong with a Jack Hill film. Coffy, Foxy Brown, Big Bird Cage, Big Doll House, Switchblade Sisters, The Swinging Cheerleaders and of course, Spider Baby.

20. John O

John O Stunt Coordinator

Don't forget The Mack with Max Julien and Richard Pryor.